Department of Chemistry

Department of Chemistry

Overview

Degree Program

Contact Information

Overview

Degree Program

Contact Information

Vision, Mission & Objectives

Recognitions

Updates

Vision, Mission & Objectives

The Department of Chemistry envisions itself as a Center of Excellence that will continually:

  • nurture life-long learners committed to excellence in scholarship and research, and equipped with updated technological skills in chemistry and allied fields of studies;
  • play a major role in the generation of quality chemical research and development that will address local concerns and create global impact; and
  • share its resources in the upgrading of chemistry education and the chemical sciences as a whole, and in community development through S&T-based actions.

The Department of Chemistry has a three-fold mission:

  • to produce competent and ethical professionals;
  • to generate new knowledge through research;
  • to provide academic extension services.

  1. To develop professional chemists who can serve competently in the academe, industry, and government and non-government organizations;
  2. To actively update the specialization of faculty members and venture into new research areas;
  3. To instill social awareness on the relevance of Chemistry through involvement in policy-making and issues related to Chemistry.

Recognitions

Certified

Center of Excellence

Level IV Accreditation

Updates

Administrators and Faculty Members

Assoc. Prof. Dharmatov Rahula B. Albano, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Rafael L. Alfonso, MSc

Master of Science in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Arthur A. Alipao, MS

Master of Science in Chemistry

Ms. Abigail A. Arillaga, MS

Master of Science in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Jolleen Natalie L. Balitaan, MS

Master of Science in Chemistry

Prof. Jose H. Bergantin, Jr., PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Prof. Christina A. Binag, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Francis G. Biñas, MSc

Master of Science in Chemistry

Mr. Aldrin P. Bonto, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Melfie E. Bungihan, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Erlinda E. Dilan, MSc

Master of Science in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Rene H. Dilan, MS

Master of Science in Chemistry

Prof. Carlos P. Garcia, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Mr. Kent Ceasar C. Gervacio, MSc

Master of Science in Chemistry

Ms. Johnalyn Go, MSc

Master of Science in Biochemistry

Prof. Allan Patrick G. Macabeo, Dr. rer. nat.

Doctor of Natural Science in Organic Chemistry

Prof. Corazon A. Menguito, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Academician Prof. Maribel G. Nonato, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Felicidad Christina R. Ramirez, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Prof. Maria Cristina R. Ramos, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Alan Rodelle M. Salcedo, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Asst. Prof. Marites D. Saludares, EdD

Doctor of Education, major in Educational Management

Prof. Karen S. Santiago, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry

Academician Professor Emeritus Fortunato B. Sevilla III, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Instrumentation and Analytical Science

Mr. Melvir R. Sucaldito, MSc

Master of Science in Chemistry

Assoc. Prof. Joyce T. Tan, MSc

Master of Science in Chemistry

Prof. Mario A. Tan, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Pharmaceutical Sciences

Prof. Bernard John V. Tongol, PhD

Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering, major in Applied Chemistry

Assoc. Prof. Cecilia M. Villaraza, MSc

Master of Science in Chemistry

History

The University of Santo Tomas was the first institution of higher learning in the Philippines to teach chemistry in its science courses. In 1924, the Faculty of Science offered specialized chemistry courses in General and Analytical Chemistry at the then College of Liberal Arts. A four-year B.S. in Chemistry program was introduced in 1931 to respond to the country’s need for more technical experts for which a government recognition was obtained in June 1934 and in July 1961, a B.S. in Industrial Technology was offered. A short-lived three-year course for chemical technicians was introduced in 1974, and then the five-year curriculum in the mid 1970’s was re- organized and condensed to a four-year program.

The Chemistry Department has been the first unit in the University to be recognized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) as a Center of Excellence (COE) in 1997. This recognition remains in force.

© Copyright 2020 . UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS. All Rights reserved.

Powered by: UST COMMUNICATIONS BUREAU

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On TwitterVisit Us On InstagramVisit Us On Youtube