From September 26-27, 2019, the University of Santo Tomas and
SANTIAGO, Karen S.
SANTIAGO, Karen S.
Santiago of International Relations presents UST’s internationalization strategy in ASEACCU conference in Korea
On August 21, 2019, Prof. Karen S. Santiago, PhD, Associate
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2011
- Sandwich Program, University of Wollongong – Australia, 2009
- Master of Science in Chemistry, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines
- Certificate in Teaching, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2013
- Registered Chemist
- Licensed Professional Teacher
- Chemiresistive electronic nose for differentiation of (a) medicinal plants, and (b) Philippine coffee beans
- Potentiometric electronic tongue for environmental monitoring
- Nanomaterials-based gas sensors for clinical (e.g., breath sensors), and environmental monitoring
- Controlled release materials
SMART POLYMER SYSTEMS AS SENSORS AND ACTUATORS
This research area focuses on the synthesis, and engineering of polymer materials to come up with platforms that may be used as sensors and actuators. The properties of these smart polymers are often improved by incorporation of materials in nanostate dimensions. Current specific applications include olfactory and taste sensing, and controlling of drug and fertilizer release.
- Project Leader, Manila Economic and Cultural Office-Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office (MECO-TECO)-assisted project on the synthesis, characterization, and gas sensing property of novel nanomaterials (on-going)
- Project leader, Commission on Higher Education-Philippine Research Network-assisted project on headspace discrimination of Pandanus Species using CP-based electronic nose, FTIR Spectroscopy, and GC-MS (2013)
- JSPS HOPE Fellow, March 2016
- Leaders in Innovation Fellowship (March 2020-present)
- Reviewer, Polymers for Advanced Technologies, Spectrochimica Acta, Talanta
- Associate Director, University of Santo Tomas – Office of International Relations and Programs (2014-present)
- Chairperson, University of Santo Tomas Department of Chemistry, College of Science (2011-2014)
- Yeh, Jui-Ming, Aamna Bibi, Chien-Hao Huang, Yun-Xiang Lan, Guan-Ying Chen, Wei-Fu Ji, and Karen S. Santiago, Effect of surface morphology of electro-spun EPAA coatings on the H2S sensing performance of corresponding interdigitated electrodes, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Accepted manuscript online 24 July 2020. IF:3.721 https://doi:10.1149/1945-7111/aba933
- Balitaan, Jolleen Natalie I., Chung-Der Hsiao, Jui-Ming Yeh, and Karen S. Santiago, ”Innovation inspired by nature: Biocompatible self-healing injectable hydrogels based on modified-β-chitin for wound healing,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. IF: 5.162 Available online 15 June 2020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.06.129
- Balitaan, Jolleen Natalie I., Jui-Ming Yeh, and Karen S. Santiago, “Marine waste to a functional biomaterial: Green facile synthesis of modified-β-chitin from Uroteuthis duvauceli pens (gladius),” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 1 July 2020, ISSN 0141-8130. IF: 5.162 Available online 7 November 2019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.11.041
- Padua, L.M.G.; Yeh, J.; Santiago, K.S. A Novel Application of Electroactive Polyimide Doped with Gold Nanoparticles: As a Chemiresistor Sensor for Hydrogen Sulfide Gas. Polymers 2019, 11, 1918, 1-16. Invited contributor for a Special Issue. IF:3.542 https://doi:10.3390/polym11121918
- Kuan-Ying Chen, Yen-Shi Lai, Jun-Kai You, Karen S. Santiago, Jui-Ming Yeh, “Effective anticorrosion coatings prepared from sulfonated electroactive polyurea,” Polymer, Volume 166, 12 March 2019, Pages 98-107 (Scopus, and Clarivate Analytics Indexed, IF: 3.483. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2019.01.037
- Wei-Fu Ji, Chieh-Ming Chu, Sheng-Chieh Hsu, Yi-De Lu, Yun-Chieh Yu, Karen S. Santiago, Jui-Ming Yeh, “Synthesis and characterization of organo-soluble aniline oligomer-based electroactive doped with gold nanoparticles, and application to electrochemical sensing of ascorbic acid,” Polymer, Volume 128, 2017, Pages 218-228, ISSN 0032-3861, IF: 4.231 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2017.09.034
- Sheng-Chieh Hsu, Hsiao-Tung Cheng, Pei-Xuan Wu, Chang-Jian Weng, Karen S. Santiago, Jui-Ming Yeh. “Electrochemical Sensor Constructed Using a Carbon Paste Electrode Modified with Mesoporous Silica Encapsulating PANI Chains Decorated with GNPs for Detection of Ascorbic Acid.” Electrochimica Acta 238 (2017) 246–256. IF: 6.215 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2017.04.021
- Kim Christopher C. Aganda, Maribel G. Nonato, Fortunato Sevilla III, Karen S. Santiago, “Headspace Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy for the Differentiation of Pandanus Species” Original Research Article. Talanta, Volume 164, 1 March 2017, Pages 439-444. IF: 5.339 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2016.05.021
- Rey Alfred G. Rañola, Karen S. Santiago, and Fortunato B. Sevilla III. “Use of array of conducting polymers for differentiation of coconut oil products,” Talanta, 146(2016) 75-82. IF: 5.339 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2015.08.026
- JEP Banal, RA Rañola, KS Santiago, FB Sevilla III. “Electronic Nose Based on Conducting Polymers for the Discrimination of Medicinal Plants.” Applied Mechanics and Materials (2014) 490–491:1194–1198
- Parawee Rattanakit, Simon E. Moulton, Karen S. Santiago, Saisunee Liawruangrath and Gordon G. Wallace. Extrusion printed polymer structures: A facile and versatile approach to tailored drug delivery platforms. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 422 (2012) 254– 263. IF: 4.845 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2011.11.007
- Polyaniline/Nylon Composite-based Trimethylamine Chemiresistor Sensor. Karen S. Santiago and Charles Patrick B. Chua. ACTA Manilana, ISSN 0065-1370, (2013) Vol. 61, 77-83.
- T.M. Palaroan, K.S. Santiago, F.B. Sevilla III. “Chemiresistor sensor for TMA based on PEDOT: PSS for the assessment of fish freshness.” ACTA Manilana (2011) 59:11-18.
- Ranola, R.A.G. and K.S. Santiago. Guasch, J.M. (Ed.). Estero de Sante Banez. Sharing a vision: Estero advocacy for a vibrant Pasig River. Manila, Philippines, Philippine Journal of Science, ISBN No. 978-971-0352-26-5, (2009) 45-48.
- K.S. Santiago, P.A.T. Flores, I.H.A. Puno, E. Montano, R.A.G. Rañola, F.B.Sevilla III, “Polyaniline/Graphite Composites: In-situ Synthesis and Characterization,” ACTA Manilana, ISSN 0065-1370, (2008) Vol. 56, 37-42.