The Faculty of Engineering, represented by Asst. Prof. Ma. Luisa...Read More
Department of Civil Engineering
Department of Civil Engineering
- Construction Manager / Engineer
- Environmental Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural / Design Engineer
- Transportation / Planning Engineer
- Water Resources Engineer
Center of Development
PAASCU Level III Accreditation
Vision & Mission
Vision & Mission
The Department of Civil Engineering envisions itself as a leading institution in learning, research, and extension service in the field of civil engineering using prominent approaches to produce globally competent, committed and compassionate professionals.
The Civil Engineering Department of the Faculty of Engineering, University of Santo Tomas, inspired by St. Thomas Aquinas and under the patronage of Blessed Jordan of Saxony commits itself to the pursuit of truth and the formation of competent Civil Engineers imbued with Christian Values essential for the development of the Community, the Country, the Church and the World.
The University of Santo Tomas, in pursuit of truth, guided by reason and illumined by faith, dedicates herself to the generation, advancement, and transmission of knowledge to form competent and compassionate professionals committed to the service of the Church, the nation, and the global community.
I am a Thomasian. I carry the SEAL of Thomasian education. I am a Servant leader, an Effective communicator and collaborator, an Analytical and creative thinker, and a Lifelong learner. With Christ at the center of my formation as a Thomasian, I am expected to demonstrate the following Thomasian Graduate Attributes (ThoGAs):
- Show leadership abilities to promote advocacies for life, freedom, justice, and solidarity in the service of the family, the local and global communities, the Church, and the environment.
- Implement relevant projects and activities that speak of Christian compassion to the poor and the marginalized in order to raise their quality of life.
- Show respect for the human person, regardless of race, religion, age, and gender.
EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATOR AND COLLABORATOR
- Express oneself clearly, correctly, and confidently in various environments, contexts, and technologies of human interaction.
- Work productively with individuals or groups from diverse cultures and demographics.
- Show profound respect for individual differences and/or uniqueness as members of God’s creation.
ANALYTICAL AND CREATIVE THINKER
- Show judiciousness and resourcefulness in making personal and professional decisions.
- Engage in research undertakings that respond to societal issues.
- Express personal and professional insights through an ethical and evidence-based approach.
- Engage in reflective practice to ensure disciplinal excellence and professional development.
- Exhibit preparedness and interest for continuous upgrading of competencies required by the profession or area of specialization.
- Manifest fidelity to the teachings of Christ, mediated by the Catholic Church, in the continuous deepening of faith and spirituality in dealing with new life situations and challenges.
Within four years after graduation, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering alumni from the University of Santo Tomas shall be engaged either locally or abroad in design, operation, or management of an industrial plant; or pursue teaching, research, technical sales, or entrepreneurship after having completed advanced studies or special training. Furthermore, they shall be expected to imbibe the Thomasian traits of contemplative, creative, and critical thinking; exemplary work ethic; and a commitment to the improvement of society and lifelong learning.
Program Educational Objectives
PEO-1. Demonstrate their technical competence locally or abroad;
PEO-2. Work in industrial companies in the areas of design, operation, or management;
PEO3. Pursue teaching or research after completing advanced studies;
PEO-4. Engage in technical sales or entrepreneurship after special training;
PEO-5. Exhibit contemplative, creative and critical thinking skills;
PEO-6. Demonstrate exemplary work ethics and commitment to improve society;
PEO-7. Practice lifelong learning and continuous development
Institutional Mission and Vision
IMV-1. Demonstrate technical competence;
IMV-2. Imbue moral values and uprightness;
IMV-3. Commit to serve the Church, the nation and the global community
IMV-4. Practice contemplation in pursuit of the truth;
IMV-5. Exhibit compassion for others
Effectivity: A.Y. 2019-2020
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex chemical engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs, with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed and morally sound judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- An ability to function effectively in a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions;
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Effectivity: A.Y. 2013-2014 to A.Y. 2018-2019
a-K1: An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics and science appropriately to solve Chemical Engineering problems
b-D1: An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data accordingly
c-D2: An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability, in accordance with standards
d-P1: An ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
e-D3: An ability to identify, formulate, and solve Chemical Engineering problems correctly
f-K2: Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
g-P2: An ability for effective written, visual, and oral communication
h-K3: The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions or research and innovation in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
i-P3: The recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
j-P4: An active concern for contemporary local and global issues
k-P5: An ability to use techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for the practice of Chemical Engineering
l-K4: The knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles as a member and leader of a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments
m-K5: The specialized knowledge in at least one field of Chemical Engineering practice, and the ability to apply such knowledge to provide solutions to actual problems
The Civil Engineering Program formed an Industry Advisory Committee in November 2014 to assist the program in the assessment and evaluation of the realization of Program Educational Objectives and the Student Outcomes. The program regularly asks feedback from them on current trends in the industry, and updates in technological development in their respective areas of expertise. Such feedback guides the program in updating the course contents in the course syllabi for fundamental and professional civil engineering courses as well as for elective courses.
Moreover, the UST CE Department collects survey data to assess the attainment of the PEOs through the Alumni Survey and the Employers Survey. The assessment data from these surveys are presented to the members of IAC through consultative meetings for their feedback.
- Engr. Jefferson S. Bongat (Chair, Organization of Socialized Housing Developers of the Philippines, Inc.)
Engr. Robert B. Henson (President, Hilmarc’s Construction Corporation)
Engr. Carlos M. Villaraza (Former President, Association of Structural Engineers of the Philippines)