Last March 18-25, 2018, the UST Center for Creative Writing…
ZULUETA, Joselito B.
ZULUETA, Joselito B.
Asst. Prof. Joselito B. Zulueta has been a professional journalist for 35 years now and covered all of the metropolitan and national beats, including police, the courts, labor, education, foreign affairs, Malacañang (the presidency), and the Church. He had been features editor and opinion-editorial page editor of the Manila Chronicle until he moved over to The Philippine Daily Inquirer, where he was senior editor, editorial writer, and arts and culture editor until 2020. He was a special correspondent of the Inquirer in key Vatican events, such as the funeral of Pope John Paul II in 2005, the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI in 2013, the canonization of Pope John XXIII and Pope John Paul II in 2014, and the second Asian tour of Pope Francis in 2015. An essayist and critic, Zulueta was chair of the National Literary Arts Committee of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, the culture ministry of the Philippines; and chair of the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino, the society of film critics that hands out the annual Gawad Urian critics awards. At UST, he advises the Varsitarian, the official university-wide student paper, and he was director of the UST Publishing House and founding deputy director of the Center for Creative Writing and Literary Studies.
- Master of Arts in Literature, Graduate School, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2017
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1991
- Author of “Home and Elsewhere: Locus and Dislocation in the Cinema of Brillante Ma. Mendoza,” from the book, “Direk: Essays on Filipino Filmmakers,” edited by Clodualdo del Mundo Jr. Published by De la Salle University Publishing House and Sussex University Press; 2018
- Co-author of “Una querencia tengo por tu acento”: Four Filipino Writers in Search of Miguel Hernández. Published by the Instituto Cervantes and Agencia Espanola de Cooperacion Internacional para el Desarrollo; 2019
- Church and media
- History of Philippine Journalism
- Literary Studies
- Cinema Studies
- The Church and Social Communication
- Literary Criticism
- Arts and Culture Writing
- Editorial and Opinion Writing
- Best Editorial, Journalism Awards, Manila Rotary Club, 1993
- Carlos Palanca Literary Award for the Essay, 1996
- National Book Award in History, 2007
- Best News Coverage, Catholic Mass Media Awards. 2015
- Outstanding Alumnus in Media, UST Graduate School, 2018
- Secretary-General, Philippine Center of International PEN (Poets & Playwrights, Essayists, Novelists)
- Member, Selection Committee, Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival
- Co-author of Riding the Waves: 15 Years of Cinemalaya. Edited by Clodualdo del Mundo Jr and published by the Cultural Center of the Philippines and Cinemalaya Foundation Inc.; 2021.
- “De pelicula a pelikula: Influencias españolas en los inicios del cine filipino,” in Filipinas y Espana en la Postmodernidad: Boletin de la Academia Filipina de la Lengua Espanola, Ano 1, Num 1 (2021). Edited by Bernadette M. Antonio and published by Vibal Foundation, Inc.