VIZCONDE, Camilla J.
VIZCONDE, Camilla J.
Camilla de Jesus Vizconde is a Professor of the College of Education – Department of Secondary Education. She finished her Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) major in Reading Education in the University of the Philippines. She has held several posts such as faculty researcher under the Center for Educational Research and Development (CERD), supervising teacher for English pre-service teachers, the Assistant Director for Operations in the Educational Technology Center, and Chairperson of the Department of English. Currently, she is the Assistant Dean of the Graduate School of the University of Santo Tomas. She has authored and co-authored several papers in national and international journals in the fields of Education, Technology, Language Education and Reading Education. She has presented these papers in Manila, South Korea, USA, Thailand and Australia. She has also served as a textbook evaluator for the Department of Education (DepEd). She likewise served as officer of the Linguistic Society of the Philippines, and sits in the Board of the Philippine Association of Language Teaching.
Academic Qualifications & Eligibility
- Doctor of Philosophy, major in Reading Education (University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines), 2015
- Master in Education, major in English as a Second Language (University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines), 1994
- Bachelor of Science in Education, major in English (Cum Laude) (University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines), 1988
- Trainee in Purposive Communication (Commission on Higher Education – Philippines), 2018
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (De La Salle University – Regional English Language Centre – Manila, Philippines), 2006
- Licensed Professional Teacher
- Philippine Board Exams for Teachers Passer, 1993
- Initiated research interest groups (RIGS) in language education, literacy, discourse analysis, forensic linguistics
- Coordinated research for family literacy in connection with UNESCO Adult Literacy Program
- Granted funding for Sustainable Organic Agriculture Project (SOAP) under RCSSED
- Literacy (Digital Literacy)
- Language Education
- Reading Education
- Teacher Training
- Structures of English
- Language Research
- Language Curriculum
- Teaching of Reading and Writing with Remediation
- Structures of English 1 and 2
- Developing Reading and Critical Thinking Skills
- Developmental Reading
- Oral Communication in Context
- Reading and Thinking Skills
- Most Outstanding Teacher – Associate Professor Category (Gawad Santo Tomas), Dangal ng UST Awards, 2012
- Research Silver Series Awardee, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2003, 2008, 2010, 2018
- Recipient, Commission on Higher Education Travel Grant for Klagenfurt, Austria (2016)
- Recipient, Commission on Higher Education Dissertation Grant (2014)
- Assistant Dean, University of Santo Tomas Graduate School (2019-present)
- Chair, University of Santo Tomas Department of English (2012-2019)
- Editor, The Journal of Asia TEFL
- Editorial Board Member, Asian Journal of English Language Studies (AJELS)
- Regular Member, National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP)
- Board Member, Philippine Association for Language Teaching, Inc. (PALT)
- Lifetime Member, Linguistics Society of the Philippines (LSP)
- Coordinator – UNESCO Chair in Adult Literacy and Learning for Social Transformation, University of East Anglia
- Salazar, K. & Vizconde, C. (2018). Communication negotiation strategies of senior high school English teachers with students using online resources. i-manager’s Journal on English Language Teaching, 8(4), 1-15.
- Vizconde, C. (2017). Evolving the university language policy from the lens of the administrators: language beliefs and practices of university administrators in the Philippines. KEDI Journal of Education Policy, 14(2), 61-77. [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- Vizconde, C. (2016). Conceptualizing the G.E. course, Purposive Communication, for the social sciences and education. The NRCP Journal, 16(1), 101-111.
- Balanga, R., Fidel, I.V., Gumapac, M.V.G., Ho, H., Tullo, R. M., Villaraza, P.M. & Vizconde, C. (2016). Student beliefs towards written corrective feedback: The case of Filipino high school students. i-manager’s Journal on English Language Teaching, 6(3), 22-38.
- Tenedero, P.P. & Vizconde, C. (2015). University English and audit firms in the Philippines: Meeting needs, merging deeds. Business and Professional Communication Quarterly, 78(4), 428-453. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/2329490615596154 [indexed in Scopus]
- Balanga, R., Fidel, I.V., Gumapac, M.V.G., Ho, H., Tullo, R. M., Villaraza, P.M. & Vizconde, C. (2016). Comparing hypertext reading in L1 and L2: The case of Filipino adults. i-manager’s Journal on English Language Teaching, 5(1), 19-34.
- De Guzman, M.A.T., Magabilin, C.M.C., Seul, G.P., Hyun, J.S.,, Velasco, R. & Vizconde, C. (2014). Tick, tock, talk: An analysis of the types of teacher talk in university classrooms. Asian Journal of English Language Studies, 2, 52-75.
- Vizconde, C. (2012). Stress and coping strategies of ESL (English as a second language) teachers in the Philippines. The Asian Journal of Educational Research and Synergy, 4(1&2), 123-141.
- Vizconde, C. (2011). When language use doesn’t see eye to eye: Language practices of teachers and students in a Philippine comprehensive university. KEDI Journal of Educational Policy, 8(1), 123-141. [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- Vizconde, C. (2006). Attitudes of Mathematics and Science pre-service education teachers in the use of English as a medium of instruction. The Linguistics Journal, 1(3), 1-33.
- De Guzman, A. & Vizconde, C. (2004). IT entry knowledge and skills of university teachers vis-à-vis their interest levels: The case of the oldest university in Asia. The Asia-Pacific Education Review, 5(2), 88-99.
Latest Paper Presentations
Latest Paper Presentations
- Quo vadis English teachers?: Teaching English from the Tertiary Level Perspective. Talk given during the PALT National Conference in San Jose Recoletos – Cebu City, May, 2018
- Are we there yet? Journeying with print and hypertexts – Plenary talk given during the Reading Association of the Philippines (RAP) National Conference in Far Eastern University, Manila April 28-30, 2016
- Determining the impact of the English language programs to university students in the Philippines – Paper presented during the cultural exchange in Hijiyama University in Hiroshima, Japan, June 7-17, 2017
- Pre-service teachers’ digital access and reading comprehension of typography and hypertext. Paper presented during the 19th European Conference on Literacy 2015 in Alpen-Adria-Universitat Klagenfurt, Austria, July 13-16, 2015.