Assoc. Prof. Maria Ruth B. Pineda-Cortel, PhD of the Department…
PINEDA-CORTEL, Maria Ruth B.
PINEDA-CORTEL, Maria Ruth B.
Maria Ruth B. Pineda-Cortel is an Associate Professor at the Department of Medical Technology Faculty of Pharmacy and at the Graduate School of the University of Santo Tomas. She is an active researcher at the Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences of the same university working on health-related issues on climate change, non-communicable diseases like gestational diabetes mellitus, communicable diseases like dengue and malaria, multidrug-resistant organisms, mutations, and among others. She was an ASEAN – US fellow in 2014 and an ASEAN Diplomate in 2018. She was the recipient of the Crisanto Almario Research Award in 2015, an award was given by the Philippine Association of Medical Technologists, Inc. to outstanding researchers in the field of Medical Technology. She was awarded with Academic Excellence in Research by PASMETH in 2021. Recognized internationally, she was the National Finalist for the ASEAN Science Prize for Women in 2020. Her most recent achievement is the award given by the National Academy of Science and Technology, the Outstanding Young Scientist Award in 2022 under the Health Sciences category.
- Doctor of Philosophy, major in Biological Sciences, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines
- Master of Science in Medical Technology, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines
- Gene expression analysis of patients with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus
- Bioassay activities of selected Philippine endemic plants (Artocarpus blancoi and Glochidion sp.)
- Gestational Diabetes mellitus
- Dengue and Malaria
- Climate Change
- 2022 Outstanding Young Scientist (Health Science), National Academy of Science and Technology
- 2020 Finalist, Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) – United States Science Prize for Women
- 2021 PASMETH Educators Awards for Excellence, Philippine Association of Schools of Medical Technology
- 2016 Gawad Pananaliksik (Outstanding Performance in Research), University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Pharmacy
- 2015 Crisanto Almario Research Award – Most Outstanding Researcher in the field of Medical Technology, Philippine Association of Medical Technologists, Inc.
- Laboratory Coordinator, Department of Medical Technology – University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Pharmacy
- Board Member, Philippine Council for Health Research and Development Scholars Society
- Associate Member, National Research Council of the Philippines
- Member, Philippine Association of Medical Technologists – Pool of Experts
- Member, Philippine Association of Schools of Medical Technology
- Asuncion, V., Santiago, L., & Pineda-Cortel, M. (2015). Hypoglycemic effect of Glochidion cagayanense on streptozotocin induced diabetes Sprague Dawley Rats. Journal of Philippine Association of Medical Technologists, Inc.
- Tan, C., Dakis, M., delos Reyes, C., Langcamon, S., Magdamit, D., Tiburcio, M., & Pineda-Cortel, M. (2015). Adiponectin as a biomarker of type 2 diabetes mellitus. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 5, 7.
- Pabalan, N. Pineda, M., Jarjanazi, H., Christofolini, D., Barbosa, C., & Bianco, B. (2014). Association of the +331G/A progesterone receptor gene (PgR) polymorphism with risk of endometrial cancer in Caucasian women: a meta-analysis. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Pabalan, N., Singh, N., Pineda, M., & Jarjanazi, H. (2014). Meta-analysis of the Association Between PTPN11 G/A Polymorphism at Intron 3 with Risk of Gastric Atrophy Among East Asians. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer.
- Pineda, M. & de la Calzada, G. (2013). Effect of Philippine Red Allium cepa Lin. (Sibuyas na Pula) on Serum LDL-Cholesterol Level. International Journal of Medical and Biomedical Sciences, 1, 3, 014-020.
- Pineda, M. & Ramos, J. (2012). Ascaris suum infective eggs upregulate IL-4, 5 and 10 in BALB/c mice. Philippine Science Letters, 5, 2.
- Pineda, M., & Ramos, J. (2012). Comparative Immunomodulatory Activity of Ascaris suum and Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus extract in BALB/c mice: cytokine and immunoglobulin regulations. Journal of Allergy and Therapy, 3,2.