Research Center for Culture, Arts, and Humanities (RCCAH) resident fellow…
ESGUERRA, Christian V.
ESGUERRA, Christian V.
Christian Esguerra is a political journalist and an educator. He hosts “Facts First,” a political talk show streamed live on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. It tackles burning issues in politics and governance and is devoted to combating disinformation. He is the former anchor and managing editor of the hard-hitting political talk program, “After the Fact,” on the ABS-CBN News Channel. He began his career as a reporter with the Philippine Daily Inquirer in 2000 then joined ABS-CBN as a news correspondent and anchor in 2015. He teaches political reporting and journalism ethics at the University of Santo Tomas where he is also a researcher at the Research Center for Culture, Arts, and Humanities. He was awarded the Marshall McLuhan Fellowship in 2020. In 2019, he received the Award of Distinction from the Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility, and the Titus Brandsma Award for Emergent Leadership in Journalism.
- Master of Arts in Theology, major in Social Pastoral Communication, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2011
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism (Cum Laude), University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2000
- Affiliate Researcher, Global Risk Journalism Hub
- Externally Funded Project: “Captive Congress: Interest Group Capture in the Philippine House of Representatives.” (DLSU Southeast Asian Research Program, Democracy Discourse Series)
- Philippine Politics (Political Journalism)
- Journalism Ethics
- Feature Writing
- Marshall McLuhan Fellow, 2020
- Recipient, Award of Distinction – Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (CMFR), 2019
- Titus Brandsma Awardee for Emergent Leadership in Journalism, 2019
- Gawad Dr. Pio Valenzuela for Excellence in Journalism Recipient – City of Valenzuela, Philippines, 2019
- Trustee, Journalism Studies Association of the Philippines (JSAP)
- Managing Editor and Anchor, ANC Early Edition (2018-2021); After the Fact (2020-2021)
- Political Correspondent, ABS-CBN News (2015-2020)
- Reporter, Philippine Daily Inquirer (2000-2015)
- Research Fellow, University of San Francisco, California, United States of America (2008)
- Journalism Fellow, Seoul National University, South Korea (2006)
- Esguerra, C.V. (2020). “How strongmen influence digital narratives in the age of COVID-19: The case of Rodrigo Duterte,” In Challenges of Communication in the Digital Age. College of Social Culture and Media, Torun. (Book chapter)
- Esguerra, C.V. (2019). “The role of the Catholic Church in Philippine independence and democracy.” In Catholics and Independence: Opportunities and Threats. College of Social Culture and Media, Torun. (Book chapter)
- Bernardo, P. X. J. C., Lechuga, T. S., & Esguerra, C. V. (2019). “Ethical dilemmas of Filipino reporters during the 2016 Philippine presidential campaign trail: A phenomenology.” SEARCH Journal of Media and Communication Research 11(3), 23-40.