Asst. Prof. Richard Thomas B. Pavia, Jr., PhD, presented the…
BALDIA, Susana F.
BALDIA, Susana F.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Aquatic Environmental Science, Ehime University, 1992
- Master of Science in Biology, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines, 1984
- Bachelor of Science in Zoology, Far Eastern University – Manila, Philippines, 1974
- First detailed account of seaweeds in the Romblon Island Group, Philippines
- First detailed account of seaweeds in Biri Island and Dalupirit Island, Northern Samar, Philippines
- First paleolimnology work in the Philippines
- Original research on the nitrogen and phosphorus utilization in Microcystis aeruginosa
- First report of toxin production in Microcystis aeruginosa from Laguna de Bay, Philippines
- Contribution to basic ecological information on the temporal variation of phytoplankton community structure in Lake Mojicap, San Pablo City, as well as in Paoay Lake, Ilocos Norte (Luzon Is., Philippines)
- Optimization of growth and lipid production in selected algal species such as Nitzschia palea and Botryococcus braunii for potential renewable feedstock of biofuel
- Identification and isolation of the colonial green algal species Botryococcus braunii during bloom occurrence in Paoay Lake
- Evaluation of microcystin production during algal bloom occurrence in Laguna de Bay, Philippines
- Demonstration of nitrogen and phosphorus utilization in the cyanobacteria Microcystis aeruginosa by using growth kinetic analysis
- Identification and evaluation by growth kinetics the physical and chemical factors that provided baseline information for the mass production of Spirulina platensis
- Evaluation of phytoplankton and zooplankton population in Laguna de Bay in relation to the European-Union project “Laguna de Bay, Philippines: an Ecosystem Approach for Sustainable Management”
- Demonstration on the efficiency of utilization of selected phytoplankton and zooplankton as feed for freshwater fish species such as silver, carp, bighead carp, and milkfish fry.
- Physiological ecology of phytoplankton
- Phytoplankton as fish larval food
- Nutrient requirements of algae
- Biodiversity of algae
- Araw Parangal ng Agham 2019. College of Science, 28 February 2019, University of Santo Tomas
- CHED Republika Awards Qualifier – Agriculture and Natural Science 2016. Commission on Higher Education, 26 July 2016
- International Publication Award 2018. 16 March 2018, University of Santo Tomas
- Silver Series Award. For exemplary performance in research for the AY 2012-2014. February 19, 2016, University of Santo Tomas
- Gold Series Award. For exemplary performance in research for the AY 2010-2012. Given 2 July 2014, University of Santo Tomas
- Araw Parangal ng Agham 2014. College of Science, 5 February 2015, University of Santo Tomas
- National Paper Award. Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act R&D Paper Award. 16th National Research Symposium, Bureau of Agricultural Research, Department of Agriculture, 5 October 2004, Diliman, Quezon City
- President, Philippine Phycological Society, Inc. 2013-2015
- Reviewer, Journal of Applied Phycology
- Researcher, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Aquaculture Department (1977-1994; 1997-2002)
- Consultant, European Union Project “Laguna de Bay Philippines: An Ecosystem Approach for Sustainable Management” – Binangonan Freshwater Station, SEAFDEC Aquaculture Department (1995-1997)
- Ken Joseph E. Clemente, Susana F. Baldia, Paciente A. Cordero Jr. 2017. The marine macroalgal flora of the Romblon Island Group, Central Phlippines. AACL Bipflux, 10 Issue 5:983-1000
- Susana F. Baldia, Mark Timothy C. Kabiling, Conie Anne L. Gabrie1, Angelique Nadine D.G. Abeleda, Rose Celine A. Aguinaldo, K. J. E. Clemente, and P.A. Cordero Jr., Marine macroalgal Diversity Assessment of Biri Island and Dalupirit Island, Northern Samar, Philippines”, Acta Manilana, 2017 65:29-38.
- Kelsey Anne P. Sambitan, Rey Donne S. Papa, & Susana F. Baldia. Phytoplankton community structure of Lake Paoay and Lake Mohicap with notes on the first record of Ceratium (Dinophyta) in Lake Paoay. 2015. Acta Manilana, 63 : 29-38.
- Kenoses Legaspi, Annie Lau, Phil Jordan, Anson Mackay, Suzanne McGowan6, Gayle McGlynn, Susana Baldia, Rey Donne Papa, David Taylor. Establishing the impacts of freshwater aquaculture in tropical Asia: the potential role of paleolimnology. GEO: Geography and Environment (Open Acess). !SSN 2054-4049. 2015. John Wiley and Sons Ltd. and the Royal Geographical Society.
- Temporal Variation of phytoplankton community structure in Lake Mojicap, San Pblo City, Laguna, Philippines. Cordero, Cecilia S. and Baldia, Susana F. International Journal of Pure and Applied Bioresource, 3(2): 377-385. 2015.
- Enhancement of some culture conditions for optimizing growth and lipid production in the diatom Nitzschia palea. Vitug, Lawrence Victor D. and Baldia, Susana F. Acta Manilana 2014 (62) : 25-34.
- Abundance and Distribution of the Green Alga Botryococcus braunii Kutzing (1849) in Paoay Lake, Ilocos Norte. Arguel, MK, Villaroman KMD, and Baldia S, In: Maria Lourdes C. Aralar, Adelaida C. Palma,Marlynn M. Mendoza, Pablo C. Ocampo, Eduardo V. Manalili, and Loureeda C. Darvin (eds.) LakeCon 2011: Building on the pillars of Integrated Lake Basin Management (Second National Congress on Philippine Lakes). Los Baños,Laguna: PCAARD-DOST,2013. 337 p.- (Summary of Proceedings No. 1/2013).