PESTAÑO, Lola Domnina B.
PESTAÑO, Lola Domnina B.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemical Engineering, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines, 2014
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines, 1993
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1981
- Drying, a unit operation involving the removal of moisture content (MC) from a wet solid, of agricultural products is of great importance for the preservation of food by human beings. The researcher’s experimental studies on thin-layer drying were done on mango slices, cassava slices, coconut slices, and banana saba slices. The research develops a drying method to determine the suitable thin-layer mathematical model that describes the drying kinetics of thinly sliced Philippine fruit or crop and subsequently to predict the optimum drying temperature and drying time to attain the suitable moisture content improve the quality and increase the shelf life of the products.
- Torrefaction is a thermal method for the conversion of biomass operating in the low temperature range of 200oC-300oC under atmospheric conditions in absence of oxygen. Dried coconut leaves were torrefied at different feedstock conditions. Torrefaction of dried coconut leaves significantly improved the heating value compared to that of the untreated biomass. Proximate compositions of the torrefied biomass also improved and were comparable to coal. Physical and combustion characteristics of torrefied biomass were superior making it more suitable for fuel applications.
- Food Engineering
- Mathematical Modeling
- Renewable Energy
- Process Design Engineering
- Elected Member, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (University of the Philippines – Chapter 045), 2015
- Outstanding Professor, Chemical Engineering – University of Santo Tomas – Faculty of Engineering, 2014
- Iskolar ng Bayan Awardee, University of the Philippines – Diliman, 2015
- Member, Technical Committee, International Conference on Renewable Energy and Conversation (ICREC)
- Associate Member (UACSE), The Institute of Research Engineers and Doctors (IRED)
- Associate Member, National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP)
- Lifetime Member, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (University of the Philippines – Chapter 045)
- W.I. Jose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Production of Solid Fuel by Torrefaction Using Coconut Leaves as Renewable Biomass. Int. Journal of Renewable Energy Development (IJRED) 5 (3) 2016: 187-197 ISSN: 2252-4940
- A.P.L. Almajose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Formulation of a Non-linear decay model for data analysis and mathematical modelling – Proceedings of The 23rd Regional Symposium on Chemical Engineering (RSCE 2016) page(s): 444-448
- A.P.L. Almajose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Numerical simulation research for Chemical Engineering applications in heat transfer using Visual Basic for Application (VBA) programming – Proceedings of The 23rd Regional Symposium on Chemical Engineering (RSCE 2016) page(s): 494-499
- A.P.L. Almajose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Numerical Simulations Research for Applications in Binary Distillation Using Visual Basic for Application (VBA) Programming and Ponchon-Savarit Method. International Journal of Computing Communications & Instrumentation Engg. (IJCCIE) Vol. 3, Issue 2 (2016) ISSN 2349-1469 EISSN 2349-1477 ONLINE: http://www.iieng.org/images/proceedings_pdf/AE0516329.pdf
- W.I. Jose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Mathematical Modelling of the Drying Process of Coconut Meat. Philippine Journal of Coconut Studies (PJCS) Vol. XXXIX Dec. 2016 11-21
- F.I. Labutong, J.S. Pastores, A.C. Yeung, L.D.B. Pestaño. Mathematical Modeling of Thin Layer Drying Kinetics of Carabao Mango in a Hot-Air Dryer. Acta Manilana 64 (2016) pp. 59-66, ISSN: 0065-1370
- A.P.L. Almajose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Numerical simulation research for chemical engineering applications in heat transfer using visual basic for application (VBA) programming [online]. In: Asia Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering Congress 2015: APCChE 2015, incorporating CHEMECA 2015. Melbourne: Engineers Australia, 2015: pp. 114-120 ISBN 978-192-21-0747-3
- A.P.L. Almajose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Formulation of a nonlinear decay model for data analysis and mathematical modelling. ASIA-PACIFIC JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING – RSCE2016 ISBN 978-604-73-4690-3, pp. 114-120. MELBOURNE, ENGINEERS AUSTRALIA 2015
- W.I. Jose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Mathematical Modeling of the Drying Process of Coconut Meat – Seek Digital Library Digital Object (2015) ISBN: 978-1-63248-055-2 doi: 10.15224/ 978-1-63248-055-2-80, Page(s): 142 – 146
- W.I. Jose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Engineering an Improved Coconut Processing System in the Philippines at the Farm-Level Journal of Advanced Agricultural Technologies (JOAAT) ISSN:2373-423X (Posted to all authors), (2015) Page(s): 58 – 62
- W.I. Jose, L.D.B. Pestaño. Mathematical Modeling of the Drying Process of Coconut Meat – Proceedings of the 3rd Int’l Conference on Advances in Applied Science and Environmental Engineering ASEE 2015 ISBN: 978-1-63248-055-2 Page(s): 32