Prof. Mary Beth B. Maningas, PhD of the Department of
MANINGAS, Mary Beth B.
MANINGAS, Mary Beth B.
On November 15, 2019, the University of Santo Tomas and
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Marine Biosciences, 2007
- Master of Science, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, 2000
- Bachelor of Science, Centro Escolar University – Manila, Philippines, 1990
- Developed a local cost-effective, on-site and rapid WSSV diagnostics kit for shrimp farmers
- Utilized RNA interference (RNAi), a gene silencing technology, as a platform for WSSV therapeutics and gene functional characterization
- Repurposes waste materials as immunostimulants, which heighten the shrimps’ immune response on upon infection
- Works on the detection of shrimp diseases and was the first to discover the occurrence of Acute Hepatopancreatic Necrosis Disease (AHPND) in the Philippines
- Cell Biology
- Marine Biotechnology
- Fish and Shellfish Immunology/ Diversity
- Seaweed Biodiversity
- Recipient, 2016 Newton Fund for Leaders in Innovation Fellowship – Royal Academy of Engineering, London, United Kingdom.
- Outstanding Research and Development Award for Applied Research (Julian A. Banzon Medal), National Academy of Science and Technology, 2015
- 2015 Outstanding Scientific Paper Award, National Academy of Science and Technology
- 1st Place Regional Innovations Contests and Exhibits (RICE) – Creative Research Category, Technological Institute of the Philippines – Quezon City, Philippines, 2015.
- Gawad San Alberto Magno for Best Invention, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2015.
- International Publication Award, 2010-2012, University of Santo Tomas Office of the Vice-Rector for Research and Innovation – Manila, Philippines, 2014.
- Vice-President – Philippine Society for Cell Biology (2014-2016)
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, Animal DNA Viruses and Retroviruses, Nimaviridae (2015-2017)
- Member, Commission on Higher Education – Technical Panel Committee for Marine Science Program (2015-2016)
- Peer Reviewer- Fish and Shellfish Immunology, Molecular Biology Reports, Free radicals Biology and Medicine, Fisheries Science, Philippine Science Letters
- Alenton, R. R., Kondo, H., Hirono, I., Maningas, M. (2016). “Gene silencing of VP9 gene impairs WSSV infectivity on Macrobrachium rosenbergii.” Virus Research.
- Dabu, I. M., Lim, J. J., Arabit, P. M. T., Orense, S. J. A. B., Tabardillo, J. A., Corre, V. L., & Maningas, M. B. B. (2015). The first record of acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease in the Philippines. Aquaculture Research.
- Bhassu, S., Maningas, M. B., & Othman, R. Y. (2015). Myostatin: A Potential Growth‐Regulating Gene in Giant River Prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, 46(6), 624-634.
- Nicolasora AD, Maralit BA, Caipang CMA, Santos MD, Calpe A, Maningas MBIB. (2014). Utilization of loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) technology for detecting White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV) and Vibrio spp. in Litopenaeus vannamei in selected sites in the Philippines. Philippine Science Letters, Vol. 7 (2): 309-316.
- Maningas MBIB, Kondo H, Ikuo Hirono. Molecular mechanisms of the shrimp clotting system. Fish & Shellfish Immunology (2013), Fish & Shellfish Immunology; 34 (4): 968–972 .
- Fagutao F, Maningas MBB, Kondo H, Aoki T, Hirono I. Transglutaminase regulates immune-related genes in shrimp. Fish and Shellfish Immunol 2012; 32 (5):711-15.