An alumnus and two faculty members of the Department of
DEDELES, Gina R.
Biological Sciences dept. recognized for outstanding contributions to Philippine microbiology, UST joins Philippine Microbiology Consortium
During the 47th Annual Convention and Scientific Meeting of the
- Doctor of Philosophy in Agricultural Science, Hokkaido University – Japan, 2001
- Master of Science in Microbiology, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1994
- Bachelor of Arts in General Science, Philippine Christian University – Manila, Philippines, 1989
- Encompasses selected terrestrial and aquatic bacteria, fungi and straminopiles for impact application in bioremediation of environmental toxic wastes and biocontrol of human and plant diseases.
- Antimicrobial Screening of Plant Extracts
- Indigenous Microorganisms
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Diplomate, Philippine Academy of Microbiologists (PAM, Inc.)
- Mycological Society of the Philippines, Best Undergraduate Thesis Paper (2015), Best Paper (Professional Category, 1st Place, 2012 and 2nd Place , 2013)
- 1st ASEAN Microbial Biotechnology Conference, Thailand, Best Poster Papers (Agricultural Biotechnology & Environmental Biotechnology), 2014
- Philippine Network of Microbial Culture Collections, Inc., Best Poster Paper, 2015
- Former Curator – UST Collection of Microbial Strains
- Proposal Reviewer – Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP)
- International Advisory Board – International Union of Microbiological Societies (IUMS), 2011
- President – Philippine Network of Microbial Culture Collections (2011-13)
- Referee – Journal of Basic and Applied Research International,
Bioremediation Journal, International Journal of Biotechnology and Food Science, Tenside Surfactants Detergents, Chemosphere
- Member – Association for General and Applied Microbiology (VAAM), Federation of European Microbiological Societies (FEMS), Asian Consortium for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Microbial Resources (ACM), World Federation of Culture Collections (WFCC), American Society for Microbiology (ASM), Philippine Society for Microbiology (PSM), National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP), Biology Teachers Association Inc., Philippines (BIOTA), Natural Products Society of the Philippines (NPSP), Mycological Society of the Philippines (MSP), Association of Systematic Biologists of the Philippines (ASBP), Philippine Society of Lactic Acid Bacteria (PSLAB
- PRF Cordero, RM Bennett, GS Bautista, GR Dedeles. 2015. Degradation of Nickel Protoporphyrin Disodium and Vanadium Oxide Octaethylporphyrins by Philippine Microbial Consortia. Bioremediation Journal. 19(2): 93-103.
- JAM Casamorin, RM Bennett, GR Dedeles. 2014. Biosoprtion of Cd(II) by Yeasts from Ripe Fruit Peels in the Philippines. Journal of Health and Pollution. 4(7): 26-36.
- RM Bennett, PRF Cordero, GS Bautista, GR Dedeles. 2013. Reduction of Hexavalent Chromium Using Fungi and Bacteria Isolated from Contaminated Soils and Water Samples. Chemistry and Ecology. 29(4): 320-328.
- G Atienza, K Arafiles, M Carmona, JP Garcia, A Macabago, B Peñacerrada, PRF Cordero, RM Bennett, GR Dedeles. 2012. Carotenoid Analysis of Locally Isolated Thraustochytrids and their Potential as an Alternative Fish Feed for Oreochromis niloticus (Nile Tilapia). Mycosphere-Journal of Fungal Biology. 3(4): 420-428.