Full Professor Allan B. de Guzman, PhD of the Research
DE GUZMAN, Allan B.
DE GUZMAN, Allan B.
Prof. Dr. Allan B. de Guzman handles pedagogy, management and research courses at both graduate and undergraduate levels in the University of Santo Tomas. As a prolific writer in educational policy studies, adult learning and teacher education, he has extensively published a total of 126 articles in various ISI-listed journals and at the same time serves as editor, board member and reviewer in international journals. He has received various prestigious awards which included the 2007 SEAMEO-JASPER Research Award given by the Government of Canada and the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO), the 2006 National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP)-Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Achievement Award and the 2011 Metrobank Foundation Search Most Outstanding Teacher Award in Higher Education, among others. In an article published in the Journal of Scientometrics (91:2012: pp 277 – 294, Springer, The Netherlands), Dr. de Guzman has been identified as the most productive and one of the most cited researchers in the fields of education and psychology in the Philippines. As a researcher, he pioneered in 2001 the introduction of the Thesis-by-Article style in the country—an innovation that has contributed much in the UST ranking in the QS Top 200 Universities in Asia. At present, he is a research fellow of the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Regional Centre for Innovation Technology (SEAMEO-INNOTECH) and the President of the Metrobank Foundation Network of Outstanding Teachers and Educators (NOTED). His research interests include adult learning, teacher education, comparative education and educational leadership and management.
De Guzman, Mesana, Roman document perceptions of older adults engaging in sports through content analysis of social media comments
Professor Allan B. De Guzman, PhD, a gerontologist from the
- Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Management (Summa cum Laude), University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1999
- Master of Arts in Educational Management (Summa cum Laude), University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1996
- Bachelor of Secondary Education, major in Computer Technology (Magna cum Laude), University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1993
- Fellow in Curriculum Leadership, Queensland University of Technology – Australia, 2014
- Theory-building initiatives on the Psychosocial aspects of the Filipino elderly in various settings (academe, community, institutionalized settings and penal institutions which were published in ISI-listed journals)
- Pioneered the introduction of the Thesis-By-Article Format in the country
- Pioneered the conduct of shadow education studies in the Philippines
- Popularised the use of underutilized designs in education and nursing research in the country (Grounded theory, metaphor analysis, conjoint analysis and structural equation modeling)
- Educational Gerontology
- Teacher Education
- Leadership Behavior and Comparative Education
- Advanced Research Methodology
- Qualitative Research
- Thesis Writing
- Breakthrough Thinking in Education
- Problem-Solving and Decision-Making in Education
- Theory and Inquiry in Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Management Information System
- Language Education Research
- Special Topics in Education
- The Teaching Profession
- Curriculum Development
- Food and Nutrition Research
- Human Resource Management and Research 1 and 2
- Nursing Research 1 and 2
- 2019 Award for Continuing Excellence in Education (ACES) by the Metrobank Foundation
- 2016 The Outstanding Thomasian Alumni Award in Education
- 2016 Best Published Work in Education – Philippine Association for Teacher Education
- 2013 Gawad ng Dangal ng Lipi in Education – Province of Bulacan
- 2011 Metrobank Foundation Outstanding Teacher in Higher Education Category
- 2011 Most Productive Researcher in the field of Education and Psychology in the Philippines – Journal of Scientometrics
- 2007 SEAMEO-JASPER Research Award (Southeast Asian Ministers of Education and the Government of Canada)
- 2006 National Research Council of the Philippines Achievement Award in Governmental, Education and International Policies)
- Zonal Representative – Philippine Teacher Education Council (2017-2020)
- Fellow — Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Regional Centre for Innovation Technology (SEAMEO-INNOTECH)
- Dean – University of Santo Tomas College of Education (2015-2018)
- President — Metrobank Foundation Network of Outstanding Teachers and Educators (NOTED) (2014-2016)
- Vice-President — Comparative Education Society of the Philippines (CESP) (2013-Present)
- Member — Journal Accreditation Technical Working Group, Commission on Higher Education
- Regular Member – National Research Council of the Philippines (2005-Present)
- Editorial Board Member — Educational Gerontology (Routledge, Taylor and Francis)
- Reviewer — International Journal of Educational Development (Elsevier), Asia-Pacific Journal of Education (Springer), The Asia Pacific Education Researcher (Springer), Nurse Education Today (Elsevier), Journal of Aging and Health (Sage) , Aging and Health (Taylor and Francis), International Journal of Art and Design Education (Blackwell), Japan Journal of Nursing Science (Wiley-Interscience), Annals of Tourism Research (Elsevier)
- Lifetime Member – Kaguro (2014-Present)
- Member – Catholic Teachers Guild of the Philippines (2002-Present)
- Mesana, J.C. & De Guzman, A. (2021). Happiology in community festivals: A case of Filipino repeat local participants. Leisure Studies, online first, DOI: 10.1080/02614367.2021.1948594
- De Guzman, A. & Laguilles-Villafuerte, S. (2021). Understanding getting and growing older from songs of yesteryears: a latent content analysis. Educational Gerontology, 47(7), 312-323. DOI: 10.1080/03601277.2021.1953764 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- De Guzman, A., Mesana, J.C. & Roman, J. A. (2021). Examining chefs’ social responsibility (CSR) during the COVID-19 pandemic. Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, online first, DOI: 10.1080/13032917.2021.1951782 [indexed in Scopus]
- De Guzman, A., Mesana, J.C. & Roman, J. A. (2021). Beyond the tip of the iceberg: a qualitative sentiment analysis of YouTube viewers’ emotional valence toward older adults auditioning in worldwide Got Talent®. Educational Gerontology, 47(3), 103-120, DOI: 10.1080/03601277.2021.1881868 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- De Guzman, A. & Mesana, J.C. (2021). Age knows no bounds: A latent content analysis of social media comments towards older adults’ engagement in sports activities. Journal of Applied Gerontology, online first, https://doi.org/10.1177%2F07334648211004687 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- Laguilles-Villafuerte, S. & De Guzman, A. (2021). Put your hands in mine: a metaphor analysis of family support in death anxiety and interment stress among Filipino older adults. Educational Gerontology, 47(4), 180-191, DOI: 10.1080/03601277.2021.1895311 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- Laguilles-Villafuerte, S. & De Guzman, A. (2020). “Because I could not stop for death”: phenomenologizing death anxiety among Filipino Older adults, Educational Gerontology, 46(12), 806-815, DOI: 10.1080/03601277.2020.1834665 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- Puzon, E. & De Guzman, A. (2020). Not your final destination: A grounded theory study on adjustment among Filipino librarians who experienced job rotation. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 52(10), 096100061989176. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0961000619891764 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- Atoy, M., Garcia, F.R., Cadungog, R., Cua, J.D., Mangunay, S. & De Guzman, A. (2020). Linking digital literacy and online information searching strategies of Philippine university students: The moderating role of mindfulness. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 52(10), 096100061989176. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0961000619891764 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- Faustino, J.A., Serrano, J. & De Guzman, A. (2020) What’s on your bucket list? Utility and importance of the retirement preferences of 40-70-year-old Filipino teachers using discrete choice estimation. Educational Gerontology, 46(11), 668-677, DOI: 10.1080/03601277.2020.1807086 [indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science – Social Sciences Citation Index]
- De Guzman, A., Garcia, A.C., Garcia, M. & Garcia, R.J. Older Filipino prisoners’ fear of other inmates: A grounded theory analysis. Ageing International, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12126-020-09397-4 [indexed in Scopus]
- De Guzman, A., Ho, N.A. & Indunan, M.D. (2020) A choice experiment of the health-seeking behavior of a select group of Filipino nursing students, International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, DOI: 10.1080/14635240.2020.1730704 [indexed in Scopus]
- MCM Fuertes, MCM Jose, BMD Nem Singh, PEP Rubio, AB de Guzman. 2020. “The moderating effects of information overload and academic procrastination on the information avoidance behavior among Filipino undergraduate thesis writers.“ Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 52(3), 694-712
- SFP Barredo, KRB Caillan, AB de Guzman. 2020. “Examining the role of depression in the Filipino elderly’s food preferences in prison setting: Data from a choice experiment.” International Journal of Prisoner Health, 16(2), 135-149.
- DZ Angcahan, AB de Guzman. 2020. “How big is your container? The lebenswelt of affective containment among skipped generation Filpino grandparents with chronically ill grandchildren.” Educational Gerontology, 46(10), 588-601.
- AB de Guzman, JL Adamos 2020. “Like the layers of an onion: Curricular Noticing as a lens to understand the epistemological features of the Philippine K to 12 secondary mathematics curriculum materials.” Educational Research for Policy and Practice, 19(3), 389-401.
- AB de Guzman, PMV Llanes, PAR Floresca, NLB, Gonzales. 2020. “Like a fish on a hook: A grounded theory study of incarcerated Filipino elderly agony.” Educational Gerontology, 46(8), 439-451.
- AB de Guzman, GMV Ibarrola, CLJI, Idolog, AJC, Ignacio 2020. “You can run but you can’t hide: A grounded theory analysis of suppression among older prisoners in the Philippines.” Educational Gerontology, 46(5), 303-313.
- Cura, ML, AB de Guzman. 2020. “Caeteris paribus: A grounded theory study on the rhizomatic tendencies among a select group of Philippine secondary History textbook writers.” Curriculum Perspectives, 40(1), 15-26.
- AB de Guzman, JMH Bayot, NR Javier, RRC Liamzon, MAR Moralejo 2020. “Understanding Filipino hospitality interns’ expectations and frustrations.” Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 31(3), 479-493.
- 9. AB de Guzman. 2020. From globalization to COVIDification of higher education: A clarion to empowering today’s learners. The Antoninus Journal, 6(1).