Researchers from the UST Research Center for Social Sciences and…
DE CASTRO, Belinda D.V.
DE CASTRO, Belinda D.V.
Belinda V. de Castro is currently the Director of the Research Center for Social Sciences and Educatin (RCSSEd). In her capacity as a researcher, she had been given several awards: 2014 National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP) Achievement Awardee, Dangal ng UST Best Published Work Awardee in 2011 and 2015 (Social Science and Education Category), Silver Series awardee in 2002, 2004, 2008 and 2010; Gold Series awardee in 2012 and International Publication awardee in 2004, 2008, 2010 and 2012. To date, she had a total of twenty-one (21) international and three (3) local publications in the fields of shadow education, mathematics education and educational management. She is the managing editor of the Asian Journal of Educational Research and Synergy (AJERS) since 2009 and one of the editorial board members of the Asian Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research (AJTHR) since 2007. She holds a Doctoral degree in Educational Management (2011 Magna Cum Laude), Masters of Science degree major in Mathematics Education (2000 Summa Cum Laude) and a Bachelor of Science degree major in Actuarial Mathematics (1984) from the Royal and Pontifical University of Santo Tomas.
She is a professor at the UST College of Commerce and Business Administration handling Research Methodology for Human Resource Management and mathematics courses such as Statistics, Algebra, Mathematical Analysis in Business, Quantitative Techniques and Mathematics of Investment. She had also been a faculty researcher and statistics consultant of UST’s Center for Educational Research and Development (CERD) since 2001. She had been invited as resource person on topics such as Conjoint Analysis, Structural Equation Modelling, Statistics for Research with SPSS and Analyzing Quantitative Data. As a faculty of the university, she had been assigned to various tasks as math coordinator, AdHoc committee member, scholarship committee chair, SWDB member, faculty club officer and USTGS Ethics Review Committee member. She is currently an invited reviewer of four international journals, Asia-Pacific Education Review, Education Research Journal, Current Issues in Education and Mathematical Thinking and Learning. She is also affiliated in various organizations such as the National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP), Comparative Education Society of the Philippines (CESP, Board Member), Philippine Society for Educational Research and Evaluation (PSERE), Philippine Council of Mathematics Teachers (MATHTED) and the Mathematics Society of the Philippines (MSP).
- Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Management, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2011
- Master of Science in Mathematics Education, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2000
- Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1984
- One of the pioneers of shadow education studies in the Philippines
- Advocated the use of underutilized statistical tools in research (structural equation modeling, factor analysis and conjoint analysis)
- Shadow Education
- Private tutoring
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Educational Management
- Curriculum and Instruction
- 2014 NRCP Achievement Award, National Research Council of the Philippines, March 11, 2015
- International Publication Award (Research Recognition AY 2012-14, AY 2010-12 & AY 2008-10), UST Office of Research and Innovation
- Gold Series Award (Research Recognition AY 2012-14 & AY 2010-12 ), UST Office of Research and Innovation
- Dangal ng UST Gawad San Alberto Magno – Best Published Research (Social Science & Education Category, 2012 & 2015)
- Board Member — Comparative Education Society of the Philippines (CESP)
- Research Committee Member — National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP) Division 1 – Governmental, Education and International Policies
- Editorial Board Member — Asian Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research (AJTHR)
- Managing Editor – Asian Journal of Educational Research and Synergy (AJERS)
- Reviewer — Asia-Pacific Education Review (Springer), Journal of Curriculum Studies (Taylor and Francis), The International Journal of Human Resource Management (Taylor and Francis), Journal of Educational Research and Reviews (Scienceweb Publishing), Education Research Journal (Taylor and Francis)
- Statistics consultant
- BV de Castro, PLD Chu Tan, and KAE Pulanco, 2017, Segmenting tourists’ motivational patterns in coming to Fort Santiago from the lens of means-end chain theory, Antorcha, 4(1), Colegio de San Juan de Letran, ISSN 2244-6362.
- BV de Castro, SM Rodriguez, R de Guzman, 2016, The mediating role of shadow education (SE) participation on goal orientation, study habits, connectedness and academic performance, Book Chapter – Redesigning Learning for Greater Social Impact, Springer.
- BV de Castro, EMDG Castillo, JRL Ching & AMB Versoza, 2016, The impact of job rotation characteristics on the job satisfaction of Filipino nurses employed in public and private hospitals: A comparative study, Luz y Saber, 10(1 & 2), 105 – 128, Colegio de San Juan de Letran
- BV de Castro, Y Cheng, JLV Montenegro & JA Pelmonte, 2015, The consequences of education mismatch and skill mismatch on employees’ work productivity: A structural equation model, Luz y Saber, 9(1 & 2), 85 – 102, Colegio de San Juan de Letran
- BV de Castro, AB de Guzman, 2014, A Structural equation model of the factors affecting Filipino university students’ shadow education (SE) satisfaction and behavioral intentions, Asia-Pacific Journal of Education, 34(4), 417-435, Taylor & Francis
- BV de Castro, AB de Guzman, 2014. From scratch to notch: Understanding private tutoring metamorphosis on the Philippines from the perspectives of cram school and formal school administrators, Education and Urban Society, 46(3), 287-311 SAGE
- BV de Castro, AB de Guzman, 2013, Proliferation of shadow education institutions in the Philippines: A time series analysis, The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 22(3), 341–345, Springer
- BV de Castro, AB de Guzman, 2010, Push and pull factors affecting Filipino students’ Shadow Education (SE) participation, KEDI Journal of Educational Policy, 7(1), 43 – 66, Korean Educational Development Institute, Seoul, Korea.