ARENAS, Elizabeth H.
ARENAS, Elizabeth H.
Elizabeth Hashim-Arenas is an Assistant Professor at the University of Santo Tomas, where she teaches professional subjects for BS Food Technology students. She holds a MS degree in Food Science from University of the Philippines–Diliman and a Ph.D. in Biological Sciences from University of Santo Tomas. Her research interests comprise evaluation of antioxidant activities and phenolic compounds from agro-industrial wastes, in vitro assessment of bioavailability of food antioxidants and development of innovative functional food products. She served as Chair of the Department of Food Technology of the College of Education and current serves as the Faculty Secretary of the Graduate School.
UST honors faculty members at 18th Dangal ng UST Awards
With the theme “Gurong May Dignidad, Turong May Kalidad” (A…
Assoc. Prof. Elizabeth H. Arenas, PhD
Department of Food Technology | Graduate School | Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences
- Doctor of Philosophy, major in Biological Sciences, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2017
- Master of Science in Food Science, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines, 2002
- Bachelor of Science in Food Technology, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1996
- Pili (Canarium ovatum, Engl) pomace, a by-product of pili pulp oil processing, as an excellent source of dietary fiber and polyphenols with significant antioxidant activity
- Pili pomace as a promising functional ingredient for food and dietary supplements which can furnish potentially bioavailable antioxidants to the body
- Evaluation of antioxidant activities and phenolic compounds from agro-industrial wastes
- In vitro assessment of bioavailability of food antioxidants
- Development of innovative functional food products
- Food Chemistry
- Food Processing
- Postharvest Handling Technology
- Research and Thesis Writing
- Sensory Evaluation
- Faculty Secretary – University of Santo Tomas – Graduate School (2020-Present)
- Chair – University of Santo Tomas – Department of Food Technology (until 2019)
- Member – Philippine Association of Food Technologists, Inc. (1996-present)
- Associate Member – National Research Council of the Philippines (2003-present)
- Arenas, E.H. & Trinidad, T.P. (2017). Heavy metal and microbiological profiles of defatted pili (Canarium ovatum, Engl.) pulp meal residue and acute oral toxicity of its ethanolic extract in mice. International Food Research Journal, 24(4): 1763-1770.
- Arenas, E.H. & Trinidad, T.P. (2017). Acute effects of thermally processed pili (Canarium ovatum, Engl.) pomace drink on plasma antioxidant and polyphenol status in humans. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine, 7(5): 467 – 476.
- Arenas, E.H. & Trinidad, T.P. (2017). Fate of Polyphenols in pili (Canarium ovatum Engl.) pomace after in vitro simulated digestion. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 7(1): 53 – 58.
- Alejandro, G.D., Arenas, E.H., Cremen, C.M., Arriola, A.H. (2013). A new record of Pyrostria (Vanguerieae-Rubiaceae) from the Philippines Inferred from molecular and morphological data. Philippine Journal of Systematic Biology. 7:1-12.
- Mariano, A.O., Mateo, H.V., Moya, C.U., Santos, N.D., Syling, J.G., Arenas, E.H. (2011). Partial replacement of wheat flour with okara in fresh pasta. Education Journal. 56 (1): 46-54.
- Adajar, B.L., Covar, A.B., Columna, C.E., Isidro, K.V., Mernelo, C.S., Obrien, C.N., Romero, K.V., Tecson, L.R., Arenas, E.H. (2011). Development of ready-to-drink chocolate flavored coconut (Cocos nucifera) skim milk. Education Journal. 56 (1): 46-54.