Carl Jay E. Jainar, MD led the Thomasian contingent in
ALARCON, Josephine B.
ALARCON, Josephine B.
Josephine B. Alarcon is a full-time faculty member of the Department of English in the University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines. She was Coordinator for Languages and Humanities in the Faculty of Engineering from 2007-2010. She is a member of professional organizations like British Council Teacher’s Club, ASIA-TEFL among others. She has read papers in international conferences, and has been a research associate of the University of Santo Tomas since 2008. Her research interests are in the areas of Discourse Analysis, World Englishes, Philippine Engish, Language Education, Forensic Linguistics.
UST maintains spot as top 2 PH university in QS Graduate Employability 2022 rankings, ranks in world’s top 300
The University of Santo Tomas maintained its place as the
- Master of Arts in Teaching – English Language Arts (Philippine Normal University – Manila, Philippines), 2004
- Bachelor of Secondary Education, major in English (Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila – Manila, Philippines), 1996
- Research Ethics Training for Social Sciences – February 27-28, 2018
- CITED Training – June 13, 18, and 19, 2018
- Certification Course as Teacher Consultant for The Philippines’ Writing Project – October 22-28, 2016
- Licensure Examinations for Teachers Passer
- Forensic Linguistics
- Discourse Analysis
- Language and the Media
- Technical Writing
- Academic Writing
- Oral Communication in Context
- Reading and Thinking Skills for Academic Study
- Purposive Communication
- Recipient, JASSO Short-Stay in Japan (Yokohama National University, Japan)
- Member, International Association of Forensic Linguistics, ASIA-TEFL, and British Council Teachers’ Club
- Reviewer, Asian Journal for English Language Studies – Volume 7
- Thesis and Dissertation Editor, UST Graduate School – Office for Graduate Research
- Cayco, P. & Alarcon, J. (2018). On modes, metafunctions and communicative acts: A Systemic-functional multimodal analysis of LRT Line 1’s publication materials. Asian Journal of English Language Studies, 6, 115-156.
- Alarcon, J. (2017). Understanding the dynamics of language centers in school setting. i-manager’s Journal on English Language Teaching, 7(4), 25-34.
Latest Paper Presentations
- July 2019 – Analyzing the linguistic features of select republic acts of the Philippines, International Association of Forensic Linguists Biennial Conference, Melbourne, Australia
- March 2018 – I don’t get it!: Lexico-grammatical features of Republic Acts in the Philippines , Linguistic Society of the Philippines, Balanga, Bataan (with Danny Balance as co-author)
- July 2016 – Response elicitation strategies in Philippine courtroom questioning , 2nd Asian Regional Conference of the International Association of Forensic Linguistics, Manila, Philippines