SALVOSA, Felipe II F.
SALVOSA, Felipe II F.
Mr. Felipe F. Salvosa II heads the B.A. Journalism Program of the University of Santo Tomas (UST) Faculty of Arts and Letters and is a researcher under the UST Research Center for Culture, Arts and the Humanities (RCCAH). He covered monetary and fiscal policy as well as legislation and national defense and security for BusinessWorld newspaper, where he rose to become an associate editor. As head of research for the country’s top business paper, he led the team that produced the annual ranking of the Philippines’s top 1,000 corporations. Mr. Salvosa later moved to government service as publications chief of the Philippine Institute for Development Studies, the state think tank. He also became a Philippine Researcher for the Financial Times Group of London and managing editor of The Manila Times. Mr. Salvosa is a director of the Philippines Communication Society and vice president of the Journalism Studies Association of the Philippines. He also advises The Varsitarian, the official student publication of UST.
- Master of Arts in Economics (Cum Laude), University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics (Cum Laude), University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2000
- Affiliate Researcher, Global Risk Journalism Hub
- Researcher, Journalism Students Across the Globe Project
- Member, Filipino Journalism Studies Consortium
- Journalism Studies
- Journalism Principles and Practices
- News Reporting and Writing
- Business and Economic Journalism
- Social Problems
- Servus Dei Award, 2021
- Finalist, Jaime V. Ongpin Awards for Investigative Journalism, 2007
- Outstanding Trade and Industry Reporter, Economic Journalists Association of the Philippines, 2005
- Vice-President and Treasurer, Journalism Studies Association of the Philippines (JSAP)
- Director and Public Affairs Officer, Philippines Communication Society (PCS)
- Managing Editor, Philippines Communication Society (PCS) Review-Journal
- Member, Scientific Council, Fides, Ratio et Patria: Studia Toruńskie, 2020-2022
- Editor, Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism, PressONE.PH
- Editorial Consultant, Areopagus Communications, Inc., 2019-present
- Member, Philippine Association for Media and Information Literacy (PAMIL), 2019-present
- Member, Philippine Association for Communication and Media Research (PACMRI), 2019-present
- Member, Philippine Advocates for Communication Education (PACE), 2014-present
- Coordinator – Journalism Program, University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Arts and Letters, 2017-present
- Assistant Publications Adviser, The Varsitarian, 2008-present
- Chinnasamy, S. & Salvosa, F. (2022). “News reporting of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Perspectives from the Global South,” in Allan, S. (Ed.). The Routledge companion to news and journalism (2nd ed.) Routledge: Chicago (In Press)
- Salvosa, F. (2020). “The digital new normal: Implications on journalism and journalism practice.” The Antoninus Journal:
- Salvosa, F. (2020). “The Philippines: Violent Extremism on the Rise in the South.” In Persecuted. Religious violence and discrimination in the modern world. College of Social and Media Culture, Torun. (Book chapter)
- Soriano, C., Bernadas, J., Salvosa, F., Torneo, A., & Figueroa, C. (2020). “Setting Up a Health Communication Strategy for Local Government Units during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Insights and Recommendations,” in Adaptive and Resilient Governance in Health Crisis Situations: Policy and Practical Considerations, 63-88. (Book chapter)
- Salvosa, F. F. (2019). “Philippines: Three years under Rodrigo Duterte.” Fides, Ratio et Patria: Studia Toruńskie 10-11, 99-112.
- Martin, C. D. P., Salvosa, F. F., Exevea, C. A. G., & Tome, P. C. (2018). “Measuring the overall satisfaction of Filipino journalists on public information officers.” Jurnal Komunikasi: Malaysian Journal of Communication, 34(4).
Essays Published by Media Outfits
- “The anti-terror bill and the questions it’s raising” (June 4, 2020) – ANCX (ABS-CBN News)
- “Cayetano’s ABS-CBN gambit” (May 14, 2020) – Rappler
- “The 2010s is the most prosperous the Philippine economy has ever been” (December 30, 2019) – ANCX (ABS-CBN News)
- “The China angle in Cardinal Tagle’s new Vatican post” (December 27, 2019) – ANCX (ABS-CBN News)
- “The decade in politics: The rise of Rodrigo Duterte and the search for a new boss” (December 24, 2019) – ANCX (ABS-CBN News)
- “The decade in politics: Bossy presidents, good intentions & the obsession to settle scores” (December 20, 2019) – ANCX (ABS-CBN News)
- “It’s Kalayaan, not Spratlys: why calling our islands by their Filipino names is our patriotic duty” (June 28, 2019) – ANCX (ABS-CBN News)