The University of Santo Tomas in partnership with the UST…
MABINI, Marilyn C.
MABINI, Marilyn C.
Dr. Marilyn C. Mabini is a professor of Industrial Engineering at the University of Santo Tomas (UST) and a researcher with the UST Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences. She holds a Ph.D. in the Applied Sciences from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (KUL) in Belgium, an MS degree in Industrial Management also from the KUL, a Master’s degree in Industrial Engineering from the University of the Philippines, and a BS degree in Chemical Engineering from UST. She had served UST in various capacities as administrator: Assistant to the Rector for Planning and Development (2008-2009); Assistant to the Rector for Research and Development (2007-2008); Dean of the Faculty of Engineering (2000-2006); and, Executive Assistant at the Office for Research, Planning and Development (1997-2000).
Dr. Mabini is an ASEAN Engineer, a Professional Industrial Engineer, and a Licensed Chemical Engineer (ChE).
As an engineering researcher, Professor Mabini has published papers on Maintenance Management, Academic Planning, and Repairable Item Inventory Systems. She also published a research-based coffee table book titled “The University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Engineering, the First 100 Years.” Her extension services include sitting as a member of the editorial board of the Philippine Journal of Engineering Education, and as Section Editor for Engineering of Acta Manilana, a journal published by UST.
In 2018, she was recognized by the Professional Regulatory Board for Chemical Engineering of the Professional Regulation Commission “for her contribution to the growth of the academic sector of the country … as well as serving as a role model of our profession.” In the same year, the Philippine Institute of Industrial Engineers also gave her recognition for “10 years of dedicated service and invaluable contribution as a member of the board of trustees of the Industrial Engineering Certification Board” and for her “shining achievements that will continue to inspire the IE community.” Recently (August 2019), she received recognition as one of the Inspiring Filipina Engineers, from the Philippine Technological Council – Women Engineers Network.
Dr. Mabini gives back to the community through a partnership with World Vision, as a child sponsor since 2003.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven – Belgium, 1991
- Master of Science in Industrial Management, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven – Belgium, 1988
- Master of Industrial Engineering, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City, 1983
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1978
- EOQ type formulations for controlling repairable inventories with deterministic demand and a fixed scrapping rate
- Mathematical model for determining optimal stock levels of multiple aircraft parts which are repairable: The model considers two levels of indenture and allows replacement of non-repairable items with new purchases.
- Mixed-integer nonlinear goal programming model for the faculty staffing problem covering selected departments of an academic institution: The model promises to be a useful decision support tool for academic administrators in their task of meeting higher education quality requirements, while satisfying institution-based concerns.
- 0-1 integer linear programming models for solving the academic timetabling problem in two stages: The first stage seeks to find the best faculty assignment to courses and sections where these courses are offered. The second stage finds an appropriate weekly schedule for the faculty-course-section assignment obtained in the first stage.
Operations Research Applications in
- Repairable item inventory management
- Academic planning
- Operations Research 1
- Operations Research 2
- Professional Industrial Engineer
- ASEAN Engineer
- Certificate of Recognition as Inspiring Filipina Engineer – Philippine Technological Council, Clark, Pampanga, 2019
- Plaque of Recognition for Leadership Excellence – Philippine Institute of Industrial Engineers, Pasay City, 2018
- Plaque of Recognition “for her contribution in the growth of the academic sector of the country…” – Professional Regulatory Board of Chemical Engineering, Manila, 2018
- International Publication Award – University of Santo Tomas: 2002 – 2004
- Gold Series Award for Research – University of Santo Tomas, 1998
- Research Grant (Scholarship) – Royal Society of London, 1998
- Eighth Place, Chemical Engineering Licensure Examination – Professional Regulation Commission, 1978
- Grote Onderscheiding (Great Distinction/ Magna cum Laude), PhD Applied Sciences, – KU Leuven, Belgium, 1991
- Onderscheiding (Distinction/ Cum Laude), MS Industrial Management – KU Leuven, Belgium, 1988
- Cum Laude, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering – University of Santo Tomas, 1978
- Associate Editor – The Philippine Engineering Education (official news magazine of The Philippine Association of Engineering Schools (PAES), Inc.)
- Resident Researcher – UST Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences (1999 – Present)
- Assistant to the Rector for Planning and Development – University of Santo Tomas (2008 – 2010)
- Dean – UST Faculty of Engineering (2000 – 2006)
- Member and Examiner – Industrial Engineering Certification Board
- Regular Member – National Research Council of the Philippines
- Member – Philippine Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Member – Philippine Institute of Industrial Engineers
- Member – Operations Research Society of the Philippine
- Mabini, M.C. Managing Repairable Inventories of Critical Parts in Mass Transport Systems. 12th National Conference of the Operations Research Society of the Philippines (refereed conference proceedings)
- Mabini, M.C. Determining Academic Staffing Levels by Mathematical Programming. Philippine Journal of Engineering Education 2017; 5(1): 38-42.
- Mabini, M.C. A Review of Recent Literature on Repairable-Item Inventory Systems. Acta Manilana 2016; 64: 67-74.
- Mabini, M.C. Solving the Class Timetabling Problem by 0-1 Integer Linear Programming. Acta Manilana 2015; 63: 79-85.
- Mabini, M.C. Solving the faculty staffing problem by goal programming. 2013 Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering & Management Systems (APIEMS) Conference (refereed conference proceedings).
- Mabini, M.C. Determining optimal inventory levels of multiple repairable items. Acta Manilana 2012; 60: 27-34.
- Mabini, M.C. and Christer, A.H. Controlling Multi-Indenture Repairable Inventories of Multiple Aircraft Parts. Journal of the Operational Research Society 2002; 53(12): 1297-1307.