Biochemistry is the branch of science concerned with the chemistry of biomolecules (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and nucleic acids) and chemical processes of life. It is multidisciplinary, standing at the crossroads between the physical sciences (chemistry and physics) and the life sciences (botany, zoology, microbiology, and genetics). The BS Biochemistry program offers students the understanding of the structure and function of biomolecules, studying the way these molecules are organized, and the interactions that take place among them in order to maintain life processes.
This four-year pre-medicine program equips the students with the fundamental principles and theories, as well as applications in research and industry.
The curriculum provides a balanced chemical, biological and computational components with excellent training in the following areas of biochemistry:
- Analytical and Physical Chemistry
- Biochemical Techniques in Protein, Carbohydrate, Lipid, and Nucleic Acid Chemistry
- Bioinformatics or Computational Biology
- Physical Biochemistry
- Nutritional and Enzyme Biochemistry
- Recombinant DNA and Transformation Biotechnology
- Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Intermediary Metabolism
- Biochemical Principles in Immunology, Virology and Cancer