Towards the end of the 17th century, when new buildings had been constructed and able men with Doctorate in Canon Law had come to join the professorial staff, the University obtained the Brief Inscrutabili from Innocent XI, dated August 7, 1681 whereby this Faculty and those of Civil Law and Medicine were erected. On January 17, 1682, the Faculty to teach the canons was granted to the Dominicans by the Master of the Order. King Charles II of Spain also recommended on November 22, 1682, the erection of the Faculty. However, because of the political unrest then reigning in the islands, the plan was not carried out, even if Archbishop Pardo, then Rector of the University, had already granted in 1689 the necessary financial aid for its maintenance. Early in the 18th century, in 1702 and again in 1715, the government maintained the establishment of a legal course, but which was however, suppressed in 1726.
Finally, on the 11th of November 1732 the School of Sacred Canons, with an enrollment of 41 students, was solemnly inaugurated. The school was subsequently confirmed both by the King of Spain on October 23, 1733, and by Pope Clement XI with his Brief Dudum emanarunt of September 2, 1734.
The Ecclesiastical Faculty of Canon Law, together with the Ecclesiastical Faculties of Sacred Theology and Philosophy, is classified under the name “Ecclesiastical Faculties.” It is an integral part of the University of Santo Tomas.
The Faculty of Canon Law aims:
The Faculty of Canon Law is governed by the following laws:
In addition, the Faculty is governed by the following regulations:
The Faculty is under the patronage of Saint Raymund of Peñafort, a Dominican priest who was also a civil and canon lawyer and once served as Master of the Order. He is the patron of canon lawyers and his feastday is observed every January 7.