Dr. Allan Patrick Macabeo, a faculty member of the Department
MACABEO, Allan Patrick G.
MACABEO, Allan Patrick G.
Macabeo of Chemistry, RCNAS leads team in doing computational modeling to hasten drug development to fight COVID-19
Full Professor Allan Patrick G. Macabeo, Dr. rer. nat. of
- Doctor of Natural Sciences (Magna cum Laude), Universität Regensburg – Germany, 2011
- Master of Science in Chemistry (Magna cum Laude), University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 2003
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Philippines, 1999
- Natural products-driven drug discovery of thirty novel/new biologically active agents from Philippine medicinal plants and saprobic/endophytic fungi with antimicrobial, antiviral, anti-cholinesterase, anti-glucosidase, anti-lipase, anti-tyrosinase, and cytotoxic activities.
- Library synthesis of Michael acceptor system-containing compounds with profound cytotoxic, anti-infective and anti-cyclooxygenase activities.
- Synthetic application of furan-derived cyclopropanes as intermediates in constructing complex g-butyrolactone natural products.
- Isolation and total synthesis of complex natural products
- Furans and cyclopropanes in organic synthesis
- Synthetic methodology development and diversity-oriented synthesis (DOS)
- Asymmetric catalysis and sp3 C-H activation
- Medicinal Chemistry and computer-assisted drug discovery
- Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Organic Synthesis
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- German Academic Exchange (DAAD) Fellow
- 2017 UST Dangal Hall of Fame Awardee
- 2015 Outstanding Young Scientist of the Philippines (Organic Chemistry) (NAST Philippines)
- 2015 The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) Award for Young Scientists (Organic Chemistry) (NAST Philippines)
- ASEAN Young Scientist and Technologist Award (AYSTA), First Runner-Up, 2014 (ASEAN)
- Merck Young Scientist Award in the Health Sciences, 2013 (Merck Inc.)
- NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists, 2013 (NAST Philippines)
- Coordinator – UST College of Science International Relations Committee
- Editorial Board Member – Pharmacognosy Research (MedKnow Pub), Philippine Journal of Health Research and Development (PJHRD) (UP Manila)
- Reviewer — Journal of Natural Products (American Chemical Society); Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (American Chemical Society); Journal of Ethnopharmacology (Elsevier); Studies in Natural Products Chemistry (Elsevier); Phytochemistry Letters (Elsevier); European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry (Elsevier); Current Organic Chemistry (Bentham Science); Current Organic Synthesis (Bentham Science); Letters in Drug Discovery and Design Chemistry (Bentham Science); Natural Products Research (Taylor and Francis) Spectroscopy Letters (Taylor and Francis); Records of Natural Products (ACG)
- Project Leader – Research studies funded by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, International Foundation for Science (2 projects), Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (4 projects) and National Academy of Science and Technology for Outstanding Achievements in Science (2 projects)
- MTJ Quimque, M Mandigma, JAK Lim, S Budde, HM Dahse, OB Villaflores, AV Hallare, APG Macabeo. 2020. “Synthesis, characterization, and molecular docking studies of N-acylated butyro- and valerolactam derivatives with antiproliferative and cytotoxic activities”. Letters in Drug Design and Discovery, in press.
- APG Macabeo, AIG Flores, RAT Fernandez, S Budde, C Faderl, HM Dahse, SG Franzblau. 2020. “Antitubercular and cytotoxic polyoxygenated cyclohexane derivatives from Uvaria grandiflora”. Natural Products Research, in press.
- A Mapook, APG Macabeo, B Thongbai, KD Hyde, M Stadler. 2020. “Polyketide-derived secondary metabolites from a Dothideomycetes fungus, Pseudopalawania siamensis gen. et sp. nov., (Muyocopronales) with antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities”. Biomolecules 10: 569-592. (shared co-main authorship)
- APG Macabeo, LAE Pilapil, KYMGarcia, MTJ Quimque, C Phukhamsakda, AJC Cruz, KD Hyde, M Stadler. 2020. “Alpha-glucosidase and lipase-inhibitory phenalenones from a new species of Pseudolophiostoma originating from Thailand”. Molecules 25:, 965-976.
- APG Macabeo, AJC Cruz, A Narmani, M Arzanlou, A Babai-Ahari, LAE Pilapil, KYM Garcia, V Huch, M Stadler. 2020. “Tetrasusbtituted a-pyrone derivatives from the endophytic fungus, Neurospora udagawae”. Phytochemistry Letters 35: 147-151.
- C Phukhamsakda, APG Macabeo, T Cheng, V Huch, KD Hyde, M Stadler. 2019. “Sparticolins A–G, biologically active spirodioxynapthalene derivatives from the ascomycocete Sparticola junci”. Journal of Natural Products 82: 2878-2885. (shared co-main authorship)
- APG Macabeo, M Stadler. 2019. “Fungal-derived natural products inhibitory to human pathogenic viruses (section 9). The amazing potential of fungi: 50 ways we can exploit fungi industrially”. Fungal Diversity 1-136.
- W Kuephadungphan, APG Macabeo, JJ Luangsa-ard, K Tasanathai, D Thanakitpipattana, S Phongpaichit, K Yuyama, M Stadler. 2019. “Studies on the biologically active secondary metabolites of the new spider parasitic fungus Gibellula gamsii”. Mycological Progress 1-12. (shared co-main authorship)