Last May 20, 2017, the University of Santo Tomas was awarded as the University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 79 General Champion for both Seniors and Juniors divisions during the Closing Ceremonies at the Plaza Mayor. During the event, UAAP also feted its outstanding athletes, its scholars, and turned over the chairmanship from UST to FEU.
The University finally brought back to the Tigers’ den the UAAP General Championship, both in the Seniors and Juniors divisions—the 41st and the 17th overall, scoring 312 and 171 points, respectively.
The following is the list of the awarded athletes in the UAAP Season 79:
UAAP Athlete-Scholar Awardees (Juniors)
1. Jay Ancheta (Adamson University)
2. Philip Santos (Ateneo de Manila University)
3. Sacho Ilustre (De La Salle University)
4. Marvin Miciano (Far Eastern University)
5. Faith Nisperos (National University)
6. Samantha Catantan (University of the East)
7. Zoe Hilario (University of the Philippines)
8. Ronalyn Lalimo (University of Santo Tomas)
UAAP Athlete-Scholar Awardees (Seniors)
1. Rhia Gaite (Adamson University)
2. Patricia Sarmiento (Ateneo de Manila University)
3. Michael del Prado (De La Salle University)
4. Janelle Frayna (Far Eastern University)
5. Michael Minuluan (National University)
6. Nathaniel Perez (University of the East)
7. Jose San Juan (University of the Philippines)
8. Noelito Jose, Jr. (University of Santo Tomas)
UAAP Season 79 Athlete of the Year-Individual (Juniors)
1. Nicole Pamintuan (De La Salle Zobel) (Swimming)
UAAP Season 79 Athlete of the Year-Team (Juniors)
1. Lawrence Cruz (National University) (Volleyball)
UAAP Season 79 Athlete of the Year-Team (Seniors)
1. Angeli Ursabia, Softball (Adamson University) (Softball)
UAAP Season 79 Athlete of the Year-Individual (Seniors)
1. Alberto Batungbakal (Ateneo de Manila University) (Swimming)
Changing of the guards
During the Closing Ceremonies, the new UAAP Board of Trustees took over, composed of the eight presidents / rectors of the member-universities. The re-organization took affect after the approval of the Securities and Exchange Commission was received. With this, the Board of Trustees will be comprised of the university presidents, while their representatives will be part of the executive committees.
UST Rector Very Rev. Fr. Herminio Dagohoy, OP, handed the UAAP Flag to the Far Eastern University, formally naming the Morayta-based Tamaraws as the host for the UAAP Season 80. In return, the Far Eastern University cheerdance crew performed to cap the night off.
The last bout
Prior to the ceremonies, the last competition of the season was held: the Street Dance Contest, now on its sixth year.
De La Salle University was adjudged as the Champion, while the University of the Philippines clinched the 1st Runner-Up spot, and the University of Santo Tomas settled at the 2nd Runner-up spot.