The University of Santo Tomas Language Center (USTLC) offers special non-degree, non-credit language proficiency programs outside the curricular offerings of the university. Conducted at the Center are customized language programs for local and international learners and professionals who need to improve their language skills in their academic coursework, professions, and language tests preparation.
The establishment of the University of Santo Tomas Language Center (USTLC) had been approved by the Academic Senate in December 2007 and operated as an adjunct of the Department of Languages. Since 2009, the USTLC has been established as a separate office under the Office of the Vice Rector for Academic Affairs (OVRAA).
Initially conducted at the University of Santo Tomas Language Center were special classes in English and Filipino, first semester of AY 2008-2009. It also acceded to the special request of the Ecclesiastical Faculty to help its enrolled foreign learners, mostly priests to address their communication needs in English. To date, conducted at the Language Center are customized English language programs designed for local and foreign learners and educational institutions with Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) and Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with UST.
The former chair of the Department of Languages, Dr. Marilu R. Madrunio, now, the Dean of the UST Graduate School was the first Officer-In-Charge (OIC) of the Language Center. Asst. Prof. Ana Maria Gloria S. Ward and Ms. Eva Kalaw were consecutively appointed Officers-in-Charge after her stint. From AY 2013 to date, Asst. Prof. Honorata S. Dayao, a former faculty member of the College of Education, has been the Officer-in-Charge of the UST Language Center.
The USTLC is dedicated to fostering humanistic language teaching and learning and achieving high levels of language proficiency for the students’ special needs or specific purposes for local and international communication and understanding.
The USTLC aspires to be a highly qualified and globally recognized language center where learners are engaged in a collaborative and humanistic education with the ultimate goal of realizing their life-performance roles.
- to meet the language and cross-cultural learning needs of non-native speakers who need to communicate and interact in the target language;
- to equip the students with necessary skills to meet their goals with emphasis on their social, academic and professional communication needs;
- to provide language testing programs for local and foreign students;
- to move from special to mainstream language classes.
- Survival Communication in English, Filipino and Spanish
- Oral Communication 1 & 2 – Listening, Speaking and Viewing
- Reading and Viewing 1 & 2
- Writing and Viewing 1 & 2
- Academic Communication
- Content Specific Communication/English for Specific Purposes
- Academic Coursework
- Workplace English
- Intensive English Language Program
- IELTS Test Preparation
Students may also enroll under one of the English Language Proficiency Levels (ELP) listed below:
- High Beginner
- High Intermediate
Address: Room 109, Mezzanine Floor, UST Main Building
Tel. No.: (63-2) 406-1611 loc. 8596
Telefax: (63-2) 749-9779