BOLAÑOS, Paolo A.
- Author of On Affirmation and Becoming: A Deleuzian Introduction to Nietzsche’s Ethics and Ontology (Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014).
- Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Kritike: An Online Journal of Philosophy (kritike.org).
- Friedrich Nietzsche
- Theodor Adorno
- Gilles Deleuze
- Frankfurt School Critical Theory
- Recipient, Silver Series for Research, 2012-2014, granted by the Office of Research and Innovation, University of Santo Tomas, in 2016
- Recipient, Silver Series for Research, 2010-2012, granted by the Office of Research and Innovation, University of Santo Tomas, in 2014
- Recipient, Silver Series for Research, 2008-2010, granted by the Office of the Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs and Research, University of Santo Tomas, in 2012
- Recipient, Postgraduate Research Funding (PGRF), 2008-2009, granted by the Higher Degree Research Unit, Macquarie University
- Scholarship Winner, International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (iPRS), 2006-2009, granted by the Government of Australia through Macquarie University
- Scholarship Winner, International Macquarie University Research Scholarship (iMURS), 2006-2009, granted by the Higher Degree Research Unit, Macquarie University
- Scholarship Winner, The John Mayer Graduate Scholarship, 2005-2006, granted by the Office of Graduate Studies, Brock University
- Full Scholarship Winner, Government of Canada Awards, 2004-2005, granted by Foreign Affairs Canada and administered by the International Council for Canadian Studies and the Canadian Bureau for International Education
- Chairperson, Department of Philosophy, University of Santo Tomas, 2011-present
- Program Lead, Philosophy Program, University of Santo Tomas Graduate School, 2013-present
- Editor-in-Chief and Publisher,Kritike: An Online Journal of Philosophy, http://www.kritike.org, ISSN 1908-7330.
- Editorial Consultant, Suri: Journal of the Philosophical Association of the Philippines, ISSN 2244-386X.
- Associate Editor,The Antoninus Journal: A Multidisciplinary Journal of the University of Santo Tomas Graduate School, ISSN 2423-3048.
- Member, Philippine Academy of Philosophical Research (PAPR)
- Board Member, Philosophical Association of the Philippines (PAP)
- Member, Philosophical Association of the Visayas and Mindanao (PHAVISMINDA)
- On Affirmation and Becoming: A Deleuzian Introduction to Nietzsche’s Ethics and Ontology (Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014). ISBN (10): 1-4438-6683-0, ISBN (13): 978-1-4438-6683-5
- ACTA: Proceedings of the Quadricentennial International Philosophy Congress (Thomism and Asian Cultures: Celebrating 400 Years of Dialogue Across Civilizations) (Manila: UST Publishing House, 2012), co-edited with Co, Alfredo P. ISBN (10): 9-7150-6672-0, ISBN (13): 978-9-7150-6672-3
- “From Rigidity to Receptivity: Articulating an Ethics of Thinking via Nietzsche and Adorno,” in Representation and Contestation: Cultural Politics in a Political Century, ed. by John McSweeney and Ching-Yu Lin (Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi, 2010), 167-179.
- “Thinking Difference: Nietzsche and Adorno on the Ethics of Thinking,” in Culture, Politics, Ethics: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, ed. by Scott H. Boyd, Ana Cristina Gil and Baldwin Wong (Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press, 2009), 53-62.
- “Quest for Peace Amidst the Death of God: Perspectives on Nietzsche’s Philosophy of Affirmation and Camus’s Ethics of Solidarity,” in Engaging Philosophical Traditions: Filipino Perspectives on Certain Philosophical Topics, ed. by Rolando M. Gripaldo, et al. (Manila: Philosophical Association of the Philippines, 2007), 44-55.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals:
- “Between Struggle and Peaceful Dialogue: An Overture to Honneth and Ricoeur on Recognition,” in Budhi: Journal of Ideas and Culture, 20:2 (2016), 85-117.
- “The Promise of the Non-Identical: Adorno’s Revaluation of the Language of Philosophy,” in Discipline Filosofiche, 26:2 (2016), 151-166.
- “Metaphysical and Epistemic Anti-Foundationlism in Nietzsche and Buddhism,” in Siribayat: Journal of Philosophy, 3:1-2 (2015), 79-89.
- “What is Critical Theory? Max Horkheimer and the Makings of the Frankfurt School Tradition,” in Mabini Review, 2:1 (2013), 1-19.
- “Philosophy from the Standpoint of Damaged Life: Adorno on the Ethical Character of Thinking,” in Budhi: Journal of Ideas and Culture, 16:3 (2012), 78-93.
- “The Ethics of Recognition and the Normativity of Social Relations: Some Notes on Axel Honneth’s Materialist Philosophical Anthropology,” in SURI: The Official Journal of the Philosophical Association of the Philippines, 1:1 (2012), 15-24.
- “Hegel and Nietzsche on Modernity, History, and Metaphysics (Some Notes on Elective Affinities),” in Scientia: Research Journal of the College of Arts & Sciences San Beda College, Special Issue on the Liberal Arts (June 2011), 225-248.
- “Isang Reaksyon sa ‘Ang Demokratikong Sistema at ang mga Modelo ng Pamumuno sa Pilipinas’,” in Kritike: An Online Journal of Philosophy, 4:1 (June 2010), 50-53, http://www.kritike.org/journal/issue_7/bolanos_june2010.pdf.
- “Nietzsche, Spinoza, and the Ethological Conception of Ethics,” in Minerva – An Internet Journal of Philosophy, 11 (2007), 113-127, http://www.mic.ul.ie/stephen/vol11/Deleuze.pdf.
- “The Critical Role of Art: Adorno between Utopia and Dystopia,” in Kritike: An Online Journal of Philosophy, 1:1 (June 2007), 25-31, http://www.kritike.org/journal/issue_1/bolanos_june2007.pdf.
- “Hegel and the Pathologies of Freedom,” in Cogito, 4:1 (New Series 2006-2007), 37-43.
- “Deleuze’s Sense of ‘Sense’ and Nietzsche’s Nomadic Thinking,” in Unitas, 79:3 (September 2006), 569-580.
- “Derrida on the Case of Language and the Politics of Writing,” in ad Veritatem, 3:2 (March 2004), 445-457.
- “The Quest for Peace Amidst the Death of God: Perspectives on Nietzsche’s Philosophy of Affirmation and Camus’s Ethics of Solidarity,” in Hingowa, 8:2 (March 2003), 1-14.
- “Nietzsche’s Critique of Nihilism and the Possibility of the Eternal Recurrence as Moral Imperative,” in ad Veritatem, 2:2 (March 2003), 537-558.
- “The Psychology of Emancipation as Groundwork for Nietzsche’s Secular Humanism,” in Unitas, 76:3 (March 2003), 119-148.
- “Putting Nietzsche into Context: Toward a Philosophy of Man,” in Unitas, 75:3 (September 2002), 374-408.
- “From Nihilism to the Assertion of Life: The Revival of Hope (A Reading of Albert Camus),” in Unitas, 74:3 (September 2001), 480-501.
Book Reviews and Review Articles:
- “Review Essay: Pilapil on the Theory and Praxis of Recognition,” in Budhi: Journal of Ideas and Culture, 20:3 (2016), 130-148.
- “Gerhard Richter, Thought- Images: Frankfurt School Writers’ Reflections from Damaged Life (Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2007),” in Critical Horizons, 10:3 (2009), 435-440, http://www.equinoxjournals.com/ojs/index.php/CR/article/view/7952/5378