UST – Analytical Services Laboratory (ASL)
• Physicochemical Analytical Services for the following applications:
- Environmental (water, soil, pesticides)
- Materials Science & Semiconductors (wafers, disks, adhesives, polymeric coatings)
- Natural Products (phytochemicals)
- Petrochemical (products, intermediates, contaminants)
- Pharmaceuticals (drugs, antioxidants, antibiotics, vaccines)
- Food and Beverage (wines, additives, supplements, polyphenols)
- Polymers & Resins (residuals, fragments and solvents)
- Packaging Materials (inks, volatiles, dioxanes)
• Biochemical Assay (DPPH, FRAP, •OH Assay) – in coordination with Biochemistry Laboratory
• Microbiological Assay – in coordination with UST – Collection of Microbial Strains
• Contract Services
• Consultancy – in coordination with resident researchers with expertise in the following fields:
- Chemical Sensors
- Biodiesel and Alternative Energy
- Food Science
- Natural Products / Functional Foods & Nutraceuticals
- Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
- Biochemistry and Molecular Diagnostics
- Biological & Microbiological studies
Analytical Instruments Holdings
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
- Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS)
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometer (FTIR)
- Fluorescence Spectrophotometer
- High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC)
- Gas Chromatograph – Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS)
- Thermogravimetric Analyzer (TGA)
- Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC)
Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)
The University of Santo Tomas envisions itself to be an acknowledged expert in key areas of research in the pure and applied sciences. The UST Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences (RCNAS) has a recognized zeal for excellence in research in the field of analytical science, materials science, natural products, food science, molecular biology and biochemistry, pharmaceutical and health care.
Motivated by the research strengths of the university and the expertise of internationally-trained resident faculty researchers, the Analytical Services Laboratory (ASL) was established in 2010 as one of the research service units of the UST-RCNAS.
Particularly, the UST-ASL has been providing physicochemical analytical services and coordinating with other research units for some technical services including phytochemical analysis, biochemical and microbiological assays.
The UST-ASL is composed of trained and devoted chemists. It is currently headed by a Laboratory Manager and a Consultant and supported by research associates.
The UST – ASL aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide services for the physic-chemical analyses to students, researchers, and other clients.
- To maximize the usage of instruments/equipment housed at RCNAS.
- To consolidate other technical and research services offered by RCNAS.
- To maintain the quality, integrity, and confidentiality of the analytical results and information.
Bernard John V. Tongol, PhD, Laboratory Manager
UST – Analytical Services Laboratory
Rm. 205, Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences
Thomas Aquinas Research Complex
University of Santo Tomas
España, Manila 1015
Tel. No.: (02) 406-1611 local 4014
Fax No.: (02) 731-4031