Research is a key area in the triumvirate functions that the university has, the two others being instruction and community development.
UST has articulated its commitment to research which is “the pursuit of truth and the generation, advancement, and transmission of knowledge in the arts and the sciences, both sacred and civil”.
There are five research flagships, namely: Science and Technology; Health & Allied Sciences; Social Sciences and Education; Arts and Humanities; and Sacred Sciences. Among the areas of research in the university are Natural Products research, Chemical Sensors and Biosensors, Materials Science, Energy research, Pure and Applied Microbiology, Biodiversity, Environmental Science, Food Science and Engineering, Urban environment and Climate Change Preparedness, Education, Arts, Culture, and Humanities, Gerontology, Migration Studies, Youth Studies, and Corporate Social Responsibility.
UST was designated by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) to host a Zonal Research Center (ZRC) for the National Capital Region in April 2010 for a period of one year. In December 2011, UST was named as one of the member institutions of the Philippine Higher Education Research Network (PHERNET).
UST research projects receive grants from various external local and international agencies such as:
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Department of Botany, Natural Museum Stuttgart, Germany
- International Union of Immunological Societies
- Bio-Asia France
- International Federation of Catholic Universities Center for Coordination of Research (IFCU-CCR)
- Global Development Network (GDN)
- Asian and Pacific Federation of Clinical Biochemistry (APFCB)
- National Research Council of the Philippines
- Philippine Council for Aquatic and Marine Research and Development (PCAMRD)
- Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technologies Research and Development (PCIEETRD)
- DOST- Science Education Institute (SEI)
- Philippine Council for Health Research & Development (PCHRD)
- Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA)
- Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
- Philippine Higher Education Research Network (PHERNET).
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Latest News and Events
Graduate School continues academic exchanges with Yokohama National University
A weeklong series of academic activities from February 7-14, 2019 took place in Japan to continue the 15-year partnership between the University of Santo...
Benjamin of Chem. Eng’g. named ASEAN Science Diplomat
Assoc. Prof. Michael Francis D. Benjamin, PhD of the Department of Chemical Engineering was selected as ASEAN Science Diplomat for 2019, in time for...
RCCAH bags two research grants from CHED, NCCA
The UST Research Center for Culture, Arts, and Humanities acquired two new research grants from the Commission on Higher Education (CHEd) and the National...
Reyes, Fajilan of Filipino present papers in AUDRN Dumaguete conference
Mr. Alvin Ringgo C. Reyes, MA and Asst. Prof. Wennielyn Fajilan, PhD of the Department of Filipino presented research papers in the 2019 Asian...