Research is a key area in the triumvirate functions that the university has, the two others being instruction and community development.
UST has articulated its commitment to research which is “the pursuit of truth and the generation, advancement, and transmission of knowledge in the arts and the sciences, both sacred and civil”.
There are five research flagships, namely: Science and Technology; Health & Allied Sciences; Social Sciences and Education; Arts and Humanities; and Sacred Sciences. Among the areas of research in the university are Natural Products research, Chemical Sensors and Biosensors, Materials Science, Energy research, Pure and Applied Microbiology, Biodiversity, Environmental Science, Food Science and Engineering, Urban environment and Climate Change Preparedness, Education, Arts, Culture, and Humanities, Gerontology, Migration Studies, Youth Studies, and Corporate Social Responsibility.
UST was designated by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) to host a Zonal Research Center (ZRC) for the National Capital Region in April 2010 for a period of one year. In December 2011, UST was named as one of the member institutions of the Philippine Higher Education Research Network (PHERNET).
UST research projects receive grants from various external local and international agencies such as:
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Department of Botany, Natural Museum Stuttgart, Germany
- International Union of Immunological Societies
- Bio-Asia France
- International Federation of Catholic Universities Center for Coordination of Research (IFCU-CCR)
- Global Development Network (GDN)
- Asian and Pacific Federation of Clinical Biochemistry (APFCB)
- National Research Council of the Philippines
- Philippine Council for Aquatic and Marine Research and Development (PCAMRD)
- Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technologies Research and Development (PCIEETRD)
- DOST- Science Education Institute (SEI)
- Philippine Council for Health Research & Development (PCHRD)
- Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA)
- Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
- Philippine Higher Education Research Network (PHERNET).
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Latest News and Events
Dean Dacanay of Pharmacy appointed to PRC Continuing Professional Development Council
Prof. Aleth Therese L. Dacanay, PhD, Dean of the Faculty of Pharmacy, was appointed as a Member of the Continuing Professional Development Council for...
Fr. Pama, Jose, Alfonso present papers on Southeast Asia in 1850-1941 in HK conference
Last June 24, 2017 (Saturday), three scholars of the University of Santo Tomas presented papers in the “Southeast Asia in Evolution: Trans-Pacific Agency and...
Faculty members, students win awards in 39th Annual Scientific Meeting of NAST
During the July 12-13, 2017 Annual Scientific Meeting of the National Academy of Science and Technology, Thomasians were recognized for their outstanding research work....
Bance of Psychology wins Best Paper award for temperament scale for armed forces in Bulacan conference
Prof. Lucila O. Bance, PhD, faculty member of the Department of Psychology and Director of the Counseling and Career Center, received the Best Paper...