Research is a key area in the triumvirate functions that the university has, the two others being instruction and community development.
UST has articulated its commitment to research which is “the pursuit of truth and the generation, advancement, and transmission of knowledge in the arts and the sciences, both sacred and civil”.
There are five research flagships, namely: Science and Technology; Health & Allied Sciences; Social Sciences and Education; Arts and Humanities; and Sacred Sciences. Among the areas of research in the university are Natural Products research, Chemical Sensors and Biosensors, Materials Science, Energy research, Pure and Applied Microbiology, Biodiversity, Environmental Science, Food Science and Engineering, Urban environment and Climate Change Preparedness, Education, Arts, Culture, and Humanities, Gerontology, Migration Studies, Youth Studies, and Corporate Social Responsibility.
UST was designated by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) to host a Zonal Research Center (ZRC) for the National Capital Region in April 2010 for a period of one year. In December 2011, UST was named as one of the member institutions of the Philippine Higher Education Research Network (PHERNET).
UST research projects receive grants from various external local and international agencies such as:
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Department of Botany, Natural Museum Stuttgart, Germany
- International Union of Immunological Societies
- Bio-Asia France
- International Federation of Catholic Universities Center for Coordination of Research (IFCU-CCR)
- Global Development Network (GDN)
- Asian and Pacific Federation of Clinical Biochemistry (APFCB)
- National Research Council of the Philippines
- Philippine Council for Aquatic and Marine Research and Development (PCAMRD)
- Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technologies Research and Development (PCIEETRD)
- DOST- Science Education Institute (SEI)
- Philippine Council for Health Research & Development (PCHRD)
- Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA)
- Commission on Higher Education (CHED)
- Philippine Higher Education Research Network (PHERNET).
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Latest News and Events
UST CCWLS holds 2018 Nat’l Writers Workshop
Last March 18-25, 2018, the UST Center for Creative Writing and Literary Studies held its annual National Writers’ Workshop at the Ridgewood Residences, Baguio...
Magpoc, BSBio senior wins best lecture presentation award in annual BIOTA convention
Mr. Maverick M. Magpoc and his groupmates from the senior class of Bachelor of Science in Biology students of the College of Science, won...
Pineda-Cortel of MedTech chosen as one of 20 ASEAN Science Diplomats
Assoc. Prof. Maria Ruth B. Pineda-Cortel, PhD of the Department of Medical Technology of the Faculty of Pharmacy was selected as one of the...
Bachmann, BPE-SWM student, wins Best Presenter award in San Beda colloquium on physical education
Ms. Sabine F. Bachmann, a fourth-year Bachelor of Physical Education, major in Sports and Wellness Management student of the Institute of Physical Education and...