College of Rehabilitation Sciences (1974)
The Center for Health Research and Movement Science serves as the research unit of the College for Rehabilitation Science. All research activities initiated and developed in the College are coursed through the CHRMS. Its research projects focus on assessment and interventions to improve health, fitness, and quality of life for different patient and client populations. These studies were previously carried out at the Center for Research on Movement Science (CRMS), now known as CHRMS, which is an evidence translation group under the Center for Allied Health Evidence of the University of South Australia and an evidence synthesis group of the Joanna Briggs Institute.
The College houses an Ethics Review Committee, which provides services to both CRS and non-CRS scholars. The committee enjoys a Level 2 accreditation from the Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Council for Health Research and Development – Philippine Health Ethics Review Board.
Latest News and Events
|September 23, 2020||Manlapaz is 2020 PRC Outstanding Professional in Physical Therapy|
|June 1, 2014||UST introduces first MS in Occupational Therapy in the Philippines|
Occupational Therapy Society
Performing Arts Guild
Physical Therapy Society
Speech-Language Pathology Society
Sports Science Society
UST Red Cross Youth Council – CRS Unit
We are an internationally acknowledged educational institution of experts producing nationalistic and globally-competitive Thomasian leaders committed to quality healthcare services in the field of rehabilitation sciences.
We will be the standard for academic excellence, research, and community service; the preferred school for rehabilitation sciences programs; the top performing school in licensure exams; and the recipient of highest accreditation levels.
Our mission is to mold individuals to become morally upright Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Sports Scientists, & Speech-Language Pathologists who exude academic excellence, research expertise, compassion and responsiveness toward the needs of the society.
To achieve our vision, we will:
- Provide students the best Thomistic education that will enable them to deliver quality healthcare services.
- Develop faculty and staff for teaching expertise and professional advancement to ensure productivity and job satisfaction and to promote harmonious environment.
- Be champions of ethical generation and utilization of knowledge through research, responsive to the needs of the profession and the industry.
- Promote self-reliance and resilience among our partner communities and institution through sustainable and research-based community health and rehabilitation programs.
- Establish and maintain strong linkages with the alumni and provide opportunities for career growth and transfer of capabilities.
St. Martin of Porres
Feast Day: November 3
Interracial harmony is an ideal that people continuously strive for even to this day. One man became a symbol of this for the Catholic faith in the 1600s: St. Martin de Porres.
Born on December 9, 1579 in Lima, Peru, he was the son of a Spanish nobleman and a former black slave. While his dark tinge earned him some degree of neglect from his father, he was able to be friends with a doctor who taught him the art of healing.
Believing he can serve others with this gift and armed with an arduous dedication to the Lord, he entered the Order of Preachers, one of the first of mixed races to do so. He began as a servant and did even the most menial of tasks selflessly. Finally, his superiors took notice and commanded him to accept the habit of a lay brother. As he carried out his ministry, he became known for his ascetic lifestyle, social work and unique healing powers.
His genuine compassion for the downtrodden led him to establish a residence in Lima for orphans and abandoned children. He died in Lima, Peru on November 3, 1639, leaving behind a legacy of interracial harmony, selfless service and unquestionable holiness.
He was canonized by now-St. Pope John XXIII on May 5, 1962.
Dominican Friars of the Province of St. Martin de Porres. (n.d.). The Life of St. Martin de Porres – Our Provincial Patron Saint. OPSouth.org. http://www.opsouth.org/about-us/st-martin-de-porres/ (accessed on July 14, 2015)
Saint Martín de Porres. (2015). The Biography.com website. Retrieved 02:00, Jul 14, 2015, from http://www.biography.com/people/saint-martín-de-porres-37827.
Administrators, Academic Officials, and Support Staff
Assoc. Prof. Anne Marie C. Aseron, MSPT, Dean
Rev. Fr. Joaquin F. Valdes, O.P., Regent
Asst. Prof. Ma. Georgina D. Mojica, MHPEd, Assistant Dean
Ms. Arlene C. Chiong Maya, MSPT, College Secretary
Assoc. Prof. Anne Marie C. Aseron, MSPT, Chair
Rev. fr. Joaquin F. Valdes, O.P., Member (Ex-Officio)
Asst. Prof. Ma. Georgina H. Mojica, MHPEd, Member (Ex-Officio)
Assoc. Prof. Rosalyn Josefa D. Papa, MD, Member
Ms. Arlene Chiong Maya, MSPT, Ex-Officio Secretary
Asst. Prof. Kim Gerald G. Medallon, MHPEd
Mr. Jonah Jerome P. Katalbas, CSP-PASP
Asst. Prof. Karen Leslie L. Pineda, MsPH, RND
MS. SHIRLEY DE CHAVEZ, PhD
MS. ARIANE S. CRUZ
MR. JESSIE CARREON
MR. JESURINO TAMPOS
MR. ARIEL GONGORA
MR. RUBEN CULTURA
|MS. CHARMAE BACAOCO|
2/F, San Martin de Porres Building
University of Santo Tomas,
España Boulevard, Sampaloc,
Manila 1015, Philippines
Telephone: +63-2-3406-1611 loc. 8280
In the early 1970’s, the lack of manpower to take care of 4 million disabled Filipinos was staggering. There were less than 50 qualified licensed Physical Therapists in the country, out of an estimated need for at least 3000. To address this need, The UST Institute of Physical Therapy opened its doors in June 1974 to applicants for the program of Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy. At that time, the first two years of the 4-year baccalaureate degree fell under the College of Science while the last two years were administered under the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery. The first batch of 14 students graduated in 1977.
By March of 1987, the school was granted a semi-autonomous status academically while still functioning administratively under the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery. It exercised full control of the revised 5-year curriculum that was initiated in school year 1988-89. In December 15, 1993, the school was granted full autonomy academically and administratively by then Rector, The Very Reverend Fr. Rolando V. de la Rosa, O.P. The head of the Institute was likewise elevated from being a Director to a Dean.
In fulfillment of its commitment to develop highly competent allied rehabilitation professionals, the degree of B.S. in Occupational Therapy was also offered in June 1996. In the summer of 1999, the Certificate Course in Athletic Training was offered. This post-graduate certificate course is an intensive 8-week seminar workshop that aims to spur the professionalization of sports science in the country.
By 1999, foregrounding the growing demand of rehabilitation sciences in the allied health profession, the Institute of Physical Therapy has been renamed College of Physical Therapy and by 2001, to College of Rehabilitation Sciences, as the school also offered a new academic program, B.S. in Sports Science. In the same year, the Master of Science in Physical Therapy program was initiated in collaboration with the UST Graduate School and the University of South Australia as a ‘Training the Trainer’ program. Twelve faculty members of the College were the first enrollees to this program. Two years later in 2003, it was offered to graduates from other schools.
On February 21, 2003, the Center for Research on Movement Science was established within the Thomas Aquinas Research Complex. In 2010, it was renamed Center for Health Research and Movement Science to better reflect its role as the research arm of the college.
Responsive to its commitment to responding to the healthcare needs of society, the College once again endeavored on a new program in June 2009 – the BS Speech-Language Pathology. Together with the other established programs, the latest program offering, truly makes the College holistic in its provision of quality education in the field of rehabilitation sciences.
The College has grown tremendously for the past forty years. Presently the entire student population approximates 1,400, about one hundred times more than the original number of enrollees. The facilities of the school are by far the most sophisticated in the country and are at the par with those found abroad.