The College of Education was opened in June, 1925 and it offers a four-year course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.E.) with different majors.
About the Department
In line with the Catholic University's general aim of forming men and women who are "truly outstanding in their training, ready to undertake weighty responsibilities in society and witness to the faith in the world" (Vatican II's Declaration on Christian Education, no. 10), and in keeping with its mission to assist in the protection and advancement of human dignity and of a cultural heritage through research, teaching and various services offered to local, national and international communities(Pope John Paul II's Apostolic constitution on Catholic Universities), the University of Santo Tomas, a Dominican institution of higher learning, the Catholic University of the Philippines, affirms and avows its commitment to the cause of truth; to impart and promote to its community knowledge of the arts and sciences, both sacred and civil, guided by reason, illumined by faith for the purpose of contributing its share in the formation of a progressive and humane society and a responsible citizenry, in the service of the Church, the country and the whole world. With this mission statement of the University in mind, the College of Education presents its objectives as follows:
- To carry out its educative function of forming authentic and mature Christian personalities endowed with a sense of social responsibility and a desire for leadership in the spirit of service in their respective fields of specialization - Education, Nutrition and Dietetics, Food Technology, Tourism as well as Hotel and Restaurant Management.
- To prepare Christian educators with the needed basic general education coupled with a specialization in particular subject areas and equipped with sound pedagogical theories and techniques for effective teaching-learning in either the secondary or elementary school level.
- To form Nutritionists and Dietitians as well as Food Technologists who will contribute to the improvement of the nutritional status of the Filipinos and conduct scientific researches for the development of the food industry in the country.
- To offer to the Tourism as well as the Hotel and Restaurant industry professionals who are both competent and imbued with a humanistic vision, serving as ambassadors of goodwill in the performance of their role in society.
The College of Education was opened in June, 1926 at Intramuros, Manila during the rectorate of Very Rev. Fr. Manuel Arellano, O.P. to offer a four-year course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.E.).
A Laboratory High School was opened in 1928.
The Normal School was established in 1940 as a two-year course leading to Elementary Teachers Certificate (E.T.C.). In June 1954, this Normal Course was changed into a four-year course leading to a degree of Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (B.S.E.Ed). In 1941, another Laboratory School was made a part of the College of Education known as the Elementary Teaching Training Department.
In 1953, a four-year program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Home Economics (B.S.H.E.) was offered. A new major in Foods and Nutrition was added in 1955. The latter was changed to the course of Bachelor of Science in Foods and Nutrition (B.S.F.N.) in 1957.
Early in 1969, there was a felt need to reorganize the Department of Home Economics to render its course more responsive to the needs of the country. Accordingly, in the school year 1970-1971, the Institution of Nutrition was formed as an independent body from the College of Education under the Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs, and later as adjunct of the College.
Another important event in 1971 was the merging of Normal School with the College of Education because of the rapidly decreasing enrolment of students in the Normal School. The change abolished the position of the Directress and the Secretary of the School. Instead, a Special Assistant to the Dean of Education was created to take charge of the Normal Elementary Department in July, 1971. At present, the Normal Department has been completely absorbed by the College so that the position of the Special Assitant was abolished.
In 1974, the College of Education offered new major studies in Chemistry and in School Guidance and Character Education. The latter replaced the co-major in Theology.
Also in 1974, the College introduced the following terminal courses to meet the demands of the manpower: two-year course in Certificate in Pratcical Arts and in Certificate in Practical Dietetics and a one-year course in Tourist Guide Certificate. The two former courses were phased out in 1976 and the one-year Tourist Guide Certificate Course was extended to a two-year course leading to an Associate in Tourism.
In the eighties, the College phased out the vocational courses and the Institute of Nutrition. Instead, it offered four-year courses leading to degrees of Tourism (BS Tourism), Nutrition and Dietetics (BSND) and Hotel and Restaurant Management (BSHRM).
For the school year 1990-1992, new majors for the Bachelor of Secondary Education, namely: Computer Technology Education as well as Home Management and Vocational Technology, replacing Home Economics, and Values Education which took the place of Guidance and Character Education were offered. A new major for the Bachelor of Elementary Education -Early Childhood-was introduced.
|Dr. Clotilde N. Arcangel||Dean|
|Rev. Fr. Romulo V. Rodriguez, O.P.||Regent|
|Asst. Prof. Shiela C. Vindollo
Office Location: Albertus Magnus Building University of Santo Tomas Espana, Manila 1083
Telephone: (632) 406-1611 loc. 8260: (632) 731-4323