Responding to the global demand on higher education institutions to produce quality research outputs, the University of Santo Tomas, through the Office of the Secretary-General, has taken the initiative in constituting the UST Journal Affairs Committee (UJAC), headed by Rev. Fr. Jesus Miranda, OP, PhD and composed of the respective chief editors of the various academic journals published by the various units of the University. Through this committee, UST aims to intensify its support for the maintenance of these journals by bringing them together in a single official online portal, providing editors technical and financial assistance, guiding editors in maintaining quality assurance, and professionalizing the respective editorial boards, inter alia.
By bringing together the various UST academic journals under one common platform, the “UST Journals Online Portal” (http://journals.ust.edu.ph/), it will be easier for researchers to access content and information about the journals, specifically their submission and publication policies. Moreover, featuring various academic journals from different disciplines is an indication of the University’s commitment to knowledge production and dissemination, as well as the recognition of the academic efforts of the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and health sciences. One of the goals of the UJAC is the eventual adoption of a University Open Access (OA) Policy, through which all academic journals identified with UST will be published in Open Access platforms, meaning to say, all published articles will be made freely available to the public. It has been proven that by adopting the OA format, a journal gains more readership and, thereby generating more citations and impact.
The following journals will be included in the online portal:
• Acta Manilana (Research Center for the Natural Sciences), edited by Prof. Emeritus Fortunato Sevilla, PhD
• Antoninus Journal (Graduate School), edited by Prof. Rey Donne Papa, PhD
• Asian Journal of English Language Studies (Department of English), edited by Asst. Prof. Veronico Tarrayo, PhD
• Hasaan (Department of Filipino), edited by Prof. Imelda De Castro, PhD and Assoc. Prof. Zendel Rosario Taruc, PhD
• Journal of Medicine University of Santo Tomas (Faculty of Medicine), edited by Prof. Raymond Rosales, MD, PhD
• Journal of Social Health (Research Center for Social Sciences and Education), edited by Asst. Prof. Maria Carinnes Alejandria-Gonzalez, MA
• Kritike: An Online Journal of Philosophy (Department of Philosophy), edited by Prof. Paolo Bolaños, PhD
• Philipiniana Sacra (Ecclesiastical Faculties), edited by Fr. Jesus Miranda Jr., OP, PhD
• Philippine Journal of Allied Health Sciences (College of Rehabilitation Sciences), edited by Ivan Neil Gomez, MAED, OT, OTR
• Tomas (Creative Writing Center), edited by Assoc. Prof. Ralph Galan, MA
• Unitas (Department of Literature), edited by Prof. Maria Luisa Torres Reyes, PhD
The UST Journals Online Portal will be officially launched by the Office of the Secretary General and the University Journal Affairs Committee on 6 December 2018, 11 am, at the Buenaventura Garcia Paredes, OP Building.