Faculty of Philosophy (1611)
Latest News and Events
|July 14, 2017||Fr. Pama presents paper on Southeast Asia in 1850-1941 in HK conference|
|July 9, 2017||Fr. Pama presents Filipino culture, history in Ho Chi Minh|
|March 24, 2017||Sagut of Ecclesiastical Faculties speaks on Rerum Novarum at Commerce Pope Leo XIII Lecture|
|May 3, 2016||First of three Philippiniana Sacra golden anniversary issues released|
|December 31, 2015||Philosophy declared Center of Excellence|
|August 29, 2015||Fr. Dagohoy elected Executive Secretary of ASEACCU|
|July 22, 2015||Fr. Miranda presents papers in ACU conference|
|May 28, 2015||Philippiniana Sacra awarded Category A-2 status by CHEd|
|November 21, 2014||Fr. Dagohoy appointed to Conseil Scientifique of Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem|
Doctor of Philosophy
Licentiate in Philosophy
Bachelor of Philosophy (Classical)
Saint Catherine of Alexandria
The Ecclesiastical Faculties of Sacred Theology, Philosophy, and Canon Law have always been considered as integral components of the University of Santo Tomas, which Pope Leo XII proclaimed a Pontifical University on September 17, 1902 through the Constitution Quae Mari Sinico. Pope Pius XII, meanwhile, declared UST as “the Catholic University of the Philippines” in 1947.
The Faculties of Sacred Theology and Philosophy are as old as the University itself. The Foundation Act of the University, dated on April 28, 1611, attests to this as it mentions the establishment of a colegio-seminario (seminary college). The first graduates were granted their academic degrees either in 1629 or 1630. The degrees conferred in UST were ordered to be recognized as valid in any part of the globe after the Brief In Supereminenti, given on November 20, 1645, during the Pontificate of Innocent X, elevated the Colegio into a University. This recognition also made UST open even to those who are not pursuing an ecclesiastical career.
The Faculty of Philosophy also suffered the setback brought about by the Period of Enlightenment in Europe and the institution of secondary education toward the end of the 19th century. This completion led to the point where the traditional Faculty of Philosophy ceased to offer any course, save the granting of Licentiate and Doctorate degrees to Dominican professors.
To address this problem, UST opened two new faculties in 1896: the Faculty of Philosophy and Letters (now the Faculty of Arts and Letters) and the Faculty of Sciences. The program of the new Faculty of Philosophy and Letters was, however, no longer the same as that of the old Colegio de Santo Tomas. It was only upon the formal establishment of the cluster of the Ecclesiastical Faculties of Philosophy, Theology, and Canon Law for the Inter-diocesan (Central) Seminary in the 20th century that the former program of Philosophy was revived.
The Faculty of Philosophy has one affiliated school: the Holy Rosary Minor Seminary.
The Faculty of Philosophy, along with the Faculty of Sacred Theology and the Faculty of Canon Law, has also contributed in the intellectual formation of modern-day Catholic hierarchy and clergy in local Church of the Philippines and other Asian countries, particularly Bangladesh, China, India, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam. Some countries from Africa (those from Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe and Oceania (particularly Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu) also send their seminarians and priests to complete their degree in Asia’s oldest existing Ecclesiastical Faculties.
Adapted from: Fr. Rodel E. Aligan, Fr. Richard G. Ang, O.P., Fr. Jose Ma. B. Tinoko, O.P., in 400 @ 800: A Tribute to the 8th Centenary of the Dominican Order (1216-2016), published by the University of Santo Tomas
REV. FR. RICHARD G. ANG, O.P., PhD
REV. FR. MAXIMO P. GATELA, PhL
|ASST. PROF. JOEL C. SAGUT, PhD