Faculty of Canon Law (1733)
Latest News and Events
Bachelor of Canon Law
Licentiate in Canon Law
Doctor of Canon Law
The Faculty of Canon Law joins the Faculties of Sacred Theology and Philosophy in managing the research publication, Philippiniana Sacra. This publication is currently ranked Category A-2 by the Commission on Higher Education.
- To deepen the knowledge of Christian revelation and of matters connected with it;
- To enunciate systematically the truth contained therein;
- To consider in the light of revelation, the problems of the times, presenting them in a manner adapted to the local culture.
The Faculty of Canon Law shall cultivate and promote its own disciplines through scientific research, by establishing or availing itself of specialized research centers, by publishing scientific journals and collections, and by organizing and/or participating in scientific workshops or conferences.
The Faculty of Canon Law has for its purpose the study and promotion of ecclesiastical juridical disciplines in the light of the Gospel and the molding of students in the spirit of Church Law, so that they may be prepared for scientific research, for the development, interpretation, and teaching of the same in seminaries, houses of studies and universities, and to train people for professional practice in diocesan and religious curia as well as for holding special ecclesiastical posts. The Faculty of Canon Law shall with special interest search for ways to harmonize the difference between the laws of the Church and those of the State.
Towards the end of the 17th century, when new buildings had been constructed and able men with Doctorate in Canon Law had come to join the professorial staff, the University obtained the Brief “Inscrutabili” from Innocent XI, dated August 7, 1681 whereby this Faculty, together with those of Civil Law and Medicine were erected. On January 17, 1682, the Faculty to teach the canons was granted to the Dominicans by the Master of the Order. King Charles II of Spain also recommended on November 22, 1682, the erection of the Faculty. However, because of the political unrest then reigning in the Islands, the plan was not carried out, even if Archbishop Pardo, then Rector of the University, had already granted in 1689 the necessary financial aid for its maintenance. Early in the 18th century, in 1702 and again in 1715, the government maintained the establishment of a legal course, but which was however, suppressed in 1726.
REV. FR. ISAIAS D. TIONGCO, O.P., JCD
|ASST. PROF. JOEL C. SAGUT, PhD