College of Architecture (1930)

Degree Program

Bachelor of Science in Architecture

Level I Formal accreditation status awarded by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (June 2013 – June 2016)

Accredited by the National Architecture Accrediting Board (1st visit)

The five-year Bachelor of Science in Architecture program consists of 10 consecutive semesters of design subjects that focus on fundamental design knowledge where students design buildings from simple residential projects to complex multi-family dwelling structures, multi-storey buildings of residential or commercial complexes, institutional buildings like schools, civic centers, religious structures, health facilities, etc. Urban planning and design, environmental concern, building technology, and professional practice are among other subjects. At the end of their third year, students will choose their specialization track from the three options that are currently offered by the college namely, Heritage Conservation, Environmental Management Planning, and Landscape Architecture.


The University of Santo Tomas College of Architecture, as a center of excellence, envisions a higher educational institution that combines human expertise and modern technology, advancing research, linkages and community service, thereby molding globally competitive Filipino Thomasian Architects.


As the premier Philippine architectural institution, the College aims to produce competent, committed, and compassionate architects by:

–     sustaining and enhancing a faculty with diverse expertise;

–     constantly updating its facilities for an effective curriculum delivery;

–     promoting local and international partnership and linkages with other Higher Educational Institutions as well as architecture and construction industries;

–     encouraging and supporting academic research, training and educational systems for field advancement; and

–     imbuing Thomasian values in its outreach program and community awareness through social interaction.


Administration, Officials, and Staff




OP Phil - ROUX Manuel (2007, STL - 2x2)





Assistant Dean



College Secretary

Academic Officials
Support Staff


In 1930, the University of Santo Tomas established the Department of Architecture under the Faculty of Engineering with Rev. Fr. Roque Ruaño, O.P as the Dean.  In was only in 1935 that it became the School of Architecture and Fine Arts with departments. The School was then elevated to the status of the College of Architecture and Fine Arts in 1947.

In 1950, the College of Architecture and Fine Arts, with the College of Engineering, transferred to a new building located at the corner of España Boulevard and Gov. Forbes Street. Named after Fr. Roque Ruaño, O.P., and presently known as the Ruaño Building, the edifice was designed by Arch. Julio Rocha, the first dean of the College (1947-1953).

Pioneers in the field of Philippine modern architecture succeeded as deans namely, Arch. Carlos D. Arguelles (1953-1959), Arch. Angel E. Nakpil (1959-1963), Arch. Antonio L. Covarrubias (1863-1968), and Arch. Jose S. Pardo (1968-1971).  It was in School Year 1967-1968 that Architecture became a five year course.

From the 1970’s to the beginning of the 21st century, included in the list of deans are prominent architects namely: Arch. Desiderio B. Santos (1971-1974), Arch. Augusto M. Concio (1974-1980), Arch. Simoun T. Soriano (1980-1981), Arch. Mauro C. Simpliciano (1981-1990), Arch. Yolanda D. Reyes (1990-2000), Arch. Luis M. Ferrer (2000-2001), Arch. Augusto M. Concio (2001-2004), and Arch. Chona E. Ponce (acting Dean).

Aside from the curriculum development and as part of the expansion program, the college was endowed with a new facility, the Fra Angelico Building named after the Dominican priest-artist.   The three-storey building, located at the España B;vd.–P. Noval St. corner of the UST campus, was inaugurated in February 1993. It houses the galleries, classrooms and workshops and eventually was extended to eight storeys on its 2nd phase in 2001 and was renamed Beato Angelico Building.

In 2000, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) cited the College of Architecture as a Center of Excellence. In the same year the College organized and hosted “CITIES 2000”, an international conference on Sustainable Development. The new millennium was marked by the separation of the College of Architecture and the College of Fine Arts and Design in 2001. Its 75th foundation was significantly celebrated in 2005 and was graced by its prominent alumni.

Through the years, the college has committed itself to the Thomasian ideals of Competence Commitment and Compassion as manifested in being consistently named as the top performing school in the national licensure examinations, being regularly included in the top ten list of successful examinees; as well as in producing competent architects endowed with intellectual discipline and integrity and who are well known throughout the country for their contributions in the field of architecture.

At present, the College of Architecture is celebrating its 85years of Competence, Commitment and Compassion, and continues to aim for greater heights under its dynamic administration led by Arch. John Joseph T. Fernandez as Dean, Rev. Fr. Manuel F. Roux, O.P as Regent, and Asst. Prof. Warren S. Maneja as the College Secretary, supported by six support staff, two student assistants, and one hundred faculty members educating 2,139 talented students.